Windows refuses to install on new system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a computer about almost a month ago, and I can't even use it yet because I am trying to install windows xp home edition. I went out and bought a brand new cd. I come home and am trying to install it, and I format the partition on my HD, and then it restarts. Then it goes to a screen that says "Setup is restarting", and then it goes to a blank blue screen and then i hear my harddrive turn off, and Boom, Physical Memory Dump, every single time. It is starting to make me mad. And sometimes it goes past ,and it doesnt get a Physical Memory Dump, but then the Setup freezes, and i have no clue why... PLease Help

Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0ghz
1024Ram
WD 80gb hd
MSI neo2 motherboard

any suggestions would be nice, andi surely do appreciate it.
Thank you!

Use Linux... :) No jk..

Have you Low-level formatted (i.e. Zero out the drive) Hirens Boot CD has the utility you need, but basically it writes nothing but 0000's to the whole hard drive, and then you can reformat it to NTFS and should be able to install fully. If this doesn;t resolve, try a different HDD, or at least different power to the HDD..

I did do a low-level fomat, but it just did the same Memory Dump thing, and Hirens Boot CD...you just buy that at a computer store? And how much does it cost? =\

Thank you

I got my Hirens from a Torrent, but I think it's free.. I never pay attention to price :)

The disc was for you to do a low-level format with, so if you did that, then you don't need Hirens...

Deffinitely try a different molex connector powering the HDD, and maybe even swap power supplys before you try a different HDD but that would be my next route..

Always isolate your problem down to what you know is good, and what you don't know. After you have come to the conclusion that it is something, then you can go further.. Hirens would also let you run a scan on the HDD to find bad sectors, like Norton Disk Doctor, etc...

Are you using the power supply that came with the case? Most of them are cheap and unreliable. Yours might be failing. Do you have another to test with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back