Windows RT is dead, won't be upgraded to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

windows microsoft windows rt surface rt windows 10

One of Microsoft's biggest flops over the past few years has been Windows RT, a specific version of Windows that was designed to run on ARM hardware, rather than the usual x86 hardware Windows had previously been built for. It was meant for low-power tablets that would primarily run Windows 8 applications, but due to a range of issues, it was never utilized outside a handful of devices.

The two main devices that ran Windows RT, and the only two that were even remotely successful, were Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface 2. Today, the company confirmed that these devices will not receive an update to Windows 10, effectively killing the platform once and for all.

Now it should be noted that Microsoft only confirmed that these two Windows RT devices will not be updated to Windows 10, and didn't comment on the (few) other products that run the OS. However if Microsoft themselves don't think it's worth creating a Windows 10 upgrade pathway for their own Windows RT products, it's unlikely they'd bother supporting any one else's.

Microsoft did reveal that the Surface RT and 2 will be upgraded to a version of Windows 10 that only provides some of the functionality. At this stage it's unclear exactly what functionality will be stripped out for these ARM-based products, but it paints a telling picture of where the platform is headed.

Going forward it seems clear that any large-screened Windows 10 products will be powered by x86-based processors, with ARM components reserved for phones and other smaller devices that don't require desktop app compatibility. Now that Intel is a strong competitor on the hardware side, both in performance and battery life with their Broadwell line, not having ARM-based Windows 10 tablets isn't a massive loss.

Permalink to story.

If I understand this article correctly, the poor saps who shelled out and fell for the sucker punch that was RT are being given the cold shoulder by MS?... Damn! that's unfortunate, glad it wasn't me though.

The two main devices that ran Windows RT, and the only two that were even remotely successful, were Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface 2. Today, the company confirmed that these devices will not receive an update to Windows 10, effectively killing the platform once and for all.

Microsoft did reveal that the Surface RT and 2 will be upgraded to a version of Windows 10 that only provides some of the functionality.

So did you mean that the cut down version of Windows 8 isn't getting upgraded to Windows 10; it's are getting upgraded to a cut down version of Windows 10?

Typing this on my Surface RT and I think this idea sucks. But its Time to move up to a surface pro at the end of the year anyway. My question is phones are arm RT is arm doesn't seem to hard to keep two really good pieces of hardware running.

I think windows rt was actually a good concept if you look at in the way it was supposed to. It was cut down version of windows, but isn't that essentially what iOS is? and android is a cut down version of full desktop distros in my view. On tablets or even small computers it was perfect, very simple, low security threats included office (and outlook in 8.1) and had pretty much the full functions of windows underneath (aka printer support). It had a full browser and was put in pretty good spec'd tablets and as the windows store has grown in app count the os has gotten more function. Sad to see it go but I will be using my RT for the foreseeable future as my "mobile" computer (all my laptops are 17" so this is very mobile for me). BUt now with full windows 8 tablets so affordable and very well spec'd for there price the need for RT has completely died, at the time of its inception it was a safe bet ARM was moving a lot a lot faster then intels atom chips.

Last edited:
I using Lenovo Yoga 11 (Window RT). If Microsoft do not the do anything with Windows RT, so my laptop use Windows RT will die too. Why Microsoft don't care about windows RT ? why they are not responsible to window RT?

I using Lenovo Yoga 11 (Window RT). If Microsoft do not the do anything with Windows RT, so my laptop use Windows RT will die too. Why Microsoft don't care about windows RT ? why they are not responsible to window RT?
Windows RT will be supported until windows 8 support end in 2025(or somewhere around there), what Microsoft is doing is not releasing a Windows 10 variant that will replace Windows RT.

Back