Windows stuck at loading bar (none of the usual suspects work)

I work on computers as a hobby, so I've had plenty of experience using the windows disk in the repair console, and straight out repair install, along with linux and ERD programs, the problem I'm having I have /never/ seen before.

Laptop freezes at loading bar when trying to start windows normally. When trying to use ERD or windows disk, both freeze before completely loading, specificly with the windows disk it continually freezes at the point where it is 'Starting Windows'

Strangest part to all of this is, safe mode works perfectly fine, networking and non-networking. In safe mode I have went back to the last working restore point to no avail, used msconfig to turn Everything off, went through programs (with updates listed) and uninstalled anything installed up to 1 month before the problem manifested itself. The only thing I can think of is either a CPU or MOBO problem, but I'm really hoping that isn't the case as their cheap and I won't make any money if they decide to just trash the laptop, plus I'll look like an *****... Everytime I tell someone its a CPU or MOBO problem I feel as if they just believe I can't fix it, and honestly I'm hoping thats the case this time as not only is this a paying customer, but a friend.

I'm at my wits end with this and I told my mothers friend I would have it done within 3 days (obviously a mistake) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

P.S. If you need any other details please ask. BTW the machine is a Lenovo, Model # 0689

Thank you again for even reading this, I'm so stressed out right now.

Udate: After booting to safe mode in both modes, now it decides to quit booting into both. All I was able to do in safe mode was run msconfig and turned off alot of non-essesential stuff, can't be sure what but nothing outside of msconfig. Couldn't touch services and even some items in the startup list would not turn off, Along with some items in programs list, again, some would not remove without installer service (which would not start in safe mode, same with its dependency RPC). After this started, completely removed power and batter and hit power button to draw all juice off board. At this point, no software answer is going to fix it I belive. Just in case d/ling a ram tester but pretty sure it won't work in the first place, and if it does I think it'll be neg, ram problems (forgive the pun) tend to be more random. I'm pretty sure this has to be cpu or mobo but I have no idea how to tell which.

What makes you think it is not a hard drive issue? have you tried doing a low-level format and installing Windows fresh? What version of Windows is this?

Thanks for the prompt reply, I cannot believe I forgot to include OS version, sorry.

Windows XP

As for the hard drive, I'm actually downloading a hd test as we speak to attempt to run it, but I don't think thats the issue, as the windows installation disk won't even complete loading. It loads into the blue screen, loads all the drivers, ntfs, fat, etc. Then freezes when it says "Starting Windows" at the bottom of the screen on the white bar.

Update: Ran 2 seperate hard drive tests, both came back with no errors in the hard drive and one had a file system check as well, it came back with nothing... so I don't have a clue.

Another funny issue, puppy linux and knoppix both boot even though an official ERD and Windows won't, and both can access the HD and run normally with no system issues.

Also, just an update on the memory test, cd booted properly but ram passed all tests (and I ran a very extensive memory test)

Thanks again for your time.

JJ

As stated above, yes I have tried a completely fresh install of windows, the windows disk will not load past (Starting Windows) or w/e that last message is before the basic gui comes up. That is, before the repair options, disk formatting, etc.

Windows version is XP pro OEM 32 bit.

In addition, yes I have tried multiple disks, and just to see if it was some weird issue, I've even tried booting windows home edition, corp edition, etc. They all freeze at same place, making the fact that linux live cds boot with no issue even more strange.

Do you have any USB devices installed when you start the XP install other than a keyboard or mouse? Do you have any odd PCI devices like old phone modems installed? Is the bios set to defaults? How much memory is installed? Enough questions? :)

Back