Windows USB ports

circusboy01

Someone told me that the front USB ports on Windows 7 are wired differently than the rear USB ports. Is this true? Because I have my doubts.

The front ports can be different to the rear ports (e.g. 2.0 at the rear, 3.0 at the front), it's a hardware/BIOS thing, independent of the OS.

Well, back USB ports are soldered directly onto the motherboard. Front USB ports have a wire that runs through the computer (if we're talking about a desktop here..) and plugs into the motherboard.

But, there are differences: the front ports are a 'hub', not individually powered, and as mentioned above can be USB 1, 2, 3 depending on the motherboard.

It has nothing to do with Windows 7 though.

Well, back USB ports are soldered directly onto the motherboard. Front USB ports have a wire that runs through the computer (if we're talking about a desktop here..) and plugs into the motherboard.

But, there are differences: the front ports are a 'hub', not individually powered, and as mentioned above can be USB 1, 2, 3 depending on the motherboard.

It has nothing to do with Windows 7 though.
If it has nothing to do with W7, why can I not reboot on my W7 if a usb is plugged in a front port?
I am probably the individual the OP was talking about. This is my original thread https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/w7-reboot-problem-question.185607/
:confused:
"EDIT" No, I will not even try to use any port in the front of this W7 . I will not risk it.

Back