Windows XP Explorer running very slow

krelos

I'm a casual 'gamer' and have a little bit of a clue, but this baffles me.
Everything else runs pretty quick and responsive, but when I go into Windows explorer it is SOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW.

I saw the thread 'Windows Explorer becomes VERY slow and/or stops responding' ... found here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic48091.html

But even as administrator I cannot rename or move the file in questions.

Any suggestions?

I probably got less clue than you but it would be an idea if you posted your computers spec and OS.

If your on windows 98 and have 50mb Ram that would def slow things down :0)

Has you game been crashing? Have you tried cleaning your temp files. CCLeaner (google it. it's free) will get rid of all the garbage you don't need.

You ever defragged your comp? Could be a million reasons why a computer goes slow.

windows explorer accesses hard drive every time we open it. Bad sectors causes slow hard drive access. Then checking your hard drive for error will isolated it. use chkdsk /r to check and repair your hard drive.

hope it helps.

I'm running Windows XP Home

I've got 3Gig of RAM and Intel Core 2 1.86Ghz

I'll try the disk cleanup and then post if it helped.

I'm not having ANY problems with my games ... ONLY with Windows Explorer.

(and to the guy that said to format ... DIAF)

You are saying "Windows Explorer" this can run slow if one of your drives is defective (local, removable, or network drive) Are you sure you don't mean "Internet Explorer" which is completely different. This one is driven (for the most part) by your internet connection

Ran disk cleanup and defragged but Windows Explorer is STILL running rediculously slow.

The defrag was saying that it was 0% fragmented ... which I would expect since I'm only using about 50gig of my 500Gig hard drive.

Im seriously at a loss at this point.

It is to the point that I DREAD needing to go into Explorer to do ANYTHING.

Anyone else have any ideas?

You are saying "Windows Explorer" this can run slow if one of your drives is defective (local, removable, or network drive) Are you sure you don't mean "Internet Explorer" which is completely different. This one is driven (for the most part) by your internet connection

Yes ... I know the difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.
Im running a cable modem connection with my internet and have ZERO issues with internet connectivity or any of my online gaming.

I can open and run ANY program I chose on my computer with no problems ... EXCEPT for when I go into Windows Explorer to access a file.

You were asked to run chkdsk /r, not disk cleanup.
Start/run/cmd
chkdsk /r
Press y to confirm
reboot
This could take a long time.

Windows explorer will try to read all drives attached to your system. This can include printers, USB drives attached via the internet and many drives that are empty, such as floppy discs, CD, DVD, USB sticks not plugged in and so forth.

Some of these will not respond and there is where the problem can lie. An obsolete or poorly-written driver for a device you do not have connected at the time may fail to time-out quickly, hence the horrible delay.

For this problem, all I can suggest is a very careful check of every device on your system to update to the latest driver.

However, as hughva suggests, a corrupt file system or bad blocks is also a likely cause. You MUST run chkdsk /f on every drive, including all USB attached drives. You SHOULD run basic hardware tests on all drives also. For hard disk drives, you can download the manufacturers test suite which will test for bad blocks. I'm sorry, that will take hours, but you NEED to do it.

The fact that you can run programs really suggests the problem lies not with your basic HDD, but some other device that Windows explorer will display when it is started. I suggest you patiently wait until explorer starts, then close the drives displayed (click the [-] box against every drive). Then one by one, click the drive name. All the folders at the root of the drive should display within seconds, or if the removable drive is empty, you should get an almost instant prompt to 'please insert a disk into drive ...'

When you dont get that, you are well on the way to a solution.

Also check out this post https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic154815.html several parts of which may eventually have a bearing on your problem.

I just finished running chkdsk /r

SO FAR at least it seems to have worked.

Went into Windows Explorer and moved a few folders around etc etc ... and as opposed to taking a full 30 seconds just to open a folder it is now opening propmtly.

Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions.

Back