XP 64-bit doesn't recognize USB external hard drive

crone

hi everyone

i am running windows xp 64 bit and my pc wont detect my usb hard drive and flash drives i can see it listed in computer management and in safely remove hardware but it wont show up in my computer i have tried updating the device with no luck and there is a yellow mark in device manager,i have also uninstalled usb still the same problem
also tried it in another pc and it works ok i have used add hardware and i got the followin message
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

did this drive use to work and now it doesnt any more.One of the first things that comes to mind is the driver is corrupt and needs to be removed. you will need to open a command prompt and type...

Devmgmt.msc set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

Once in, Click on the View and select Show hidden devices.

You may be able to see the drives still in there, just right click it and uninstall it.

Can be wise to start by cleaning up all the USB storage drivers. See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

OH. If still not working after cleaning up the drivers, be sure to also checkout [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

That code 39 could be telling of a Disk filter issue

tried that did not work message came up saying that windows found new hardware when it ws installing new hardware message a problem occurred during hardware installation your new hardware may not be working properly,something seems to be stopping xp frommounting the usb drives one question in xp what process controls usb devices when windows detects and mounts it,also like to add used partition find and mount it mounts the drives to my computer but got a message saying drive is write protected

So, it sounds like you tried removing the USB drivers but did you follow the instructions above re: Trying to fix Disk filter problems? (see if that applies to your case)

Let's try this to see if it reveals any issues with the drivers

> Download FilterDriver LoadOrderTool
> Run it. Select your drive
> Click the Clipboard button. Then paste into next post

Also, when you look at the disk with Disk Management
> Is it partitioned?
> What filesystem type (FAT, NTFS, etc) is indicated for each partition?

Upper Filter Drivers: No Upper Filter Drivers specified for this device.
Device Object: Intenso Rainbow USB Device,Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device,ye its partition with size of disk but wont giveme any more info i have also tried using partition find and mount which finds my drive ok and mounts it when i try to use it ut says disk is write protected dont know if this is causing the problem but when i tried using sfc . scannow i notice that after it copies files from the xp cd to the dll.cache it does not seem to work as when i run sfc again it asks for the xp cd even though i have used sfc before so i think maybe dll cache is corrupted or damaged and it stopping xp from mounting usb drive,if so is there a way to repair the dll.cache

I can't say with 100% certainty (but am reasonably sure) there should be a PartMgr.sys driver that i think should be appearing on the Disk's device driver stack. Implying your Windows installation might be corrupt

Two thoughts
1. You could probably prove its Windows/software corruption (and not your hardware) if you created a bootable Knopix CD, booted into Knoppix, plugged in yoiur USB drive and see it work on your computer when booted into Knoppix. If your hardware works under knoppix then it might be best to do a repair or a full reinstall of Windows. (For instructions for creating bootable knoppix look at step #2 in [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

2. You might also try a repair installation of XP (you have the install disk or a recovery partition on your drive?). Of course, you'd still need to the repair after trying Knoppix but

back now as i been sick,yes i have trid repairing xp no luck and booted windos with a bootable cd and the usb drive was detected so the problem is with windows but i think that the problem points to the dll.cahche folder as when i type sfc / scannow it replaces the files or seems to but when i boot pc and try running sfc it keeps asking for the windows xp cd to copy files maybe the dll.cache folder is damaged its looking like i may have to reinstall windows is there anything else i can try before that

Back