Windows XP Home Edition Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

I brought my PC of a friend a year or so ago, and all was fine.

I started getting BSOD around Xmas time and so have tried 101 things to rectify.

In changing around the PC configuration it asked me to register my copy of XP, so I entered registration over the phone.

Over the past few days I could not overcome the problem and so decided to format and re-install XP.

Here comes the tricky part...the person I brought the PC from did not have the original XP disk.

So, I thought thats fine, I have the original product key, I will use their copy of XP but enter my own legit key.

I put the disk in and let it do its business, it never at any point asked me for my product key?

So, I went to the system/general tab and noticed I have an OEM install.

From what I understand this means the disk I used automatically installs using OEM product key.

I obviously want a legit install and to use my product key so I can register in the correct manner.

I hope this is clear, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

You can contact Microsoft inquire about getting a license .. as for disk this maybe the tricky part.. Never buy a computer with out a copy of the os

To install an OEM-XP you need an OEM-key. To install a retail-XP you need a retail-key.
OEM-keys do not work on retail-installs and vice versa.
Borrow someones XP disk of the same type that you have the key for (OEM or retail). (You cannot mix Home and Pro either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back