Windows XP, New Installation, Hard drive detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

I ran a clean install of Windows XP, now one of my drives is missing. My computer was originally setup with RAID 0...not sure how that plays into all of this.

2 physical drives: My C drive is 40G, the E drive (now missing in action), is 80G. I looked in BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management...no 80G hard drive...but, there Z drive (RAID partition?) which was used to back up files from C and E shows up.

When I installed XP, I had a floppy with FastTrak 133 drivers (RAID for WinXP). Being the extreme light bulb I am, I thought this was how I was suppose to setup my RAID config. So, I don't see this 80G guy in bios or anywhere...is there a way to recover.

Could I have deleted everything on E? If so, how come I don't have 80G of free space...? Thanks for any advice.

M

fad3toblack

Well, though I do not know much at all about RAID, I do know that I have had a bit of trouble with getting windows to recognize my SATA drive. I had to do a couple things in device manager to get it working, though I cannot remember exactly what. Is your E drive an SATA?

fad3toblack

beerabuser30 said:
If your bios is not recognizing it I am not sure that this is a Windows problem.

OOh haha I didn't even notice that it wasn't beign recognized in the BIOS. So... Are you sure that the drive is physically hooked up right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys...

I can't really say, I know it's hooked up. BIOS shows two 40G drives, perhaps something to do with RAID 1+0 & Striping...???

Last night I installed Partition Magic to see what it could do, after reboot, my 80G drive showed back up (WTF-?). It is however in Disk Management & PM broken into two dynamic drives (see link below, referring to Disk 3 & 4). I also created almost 40G unallocated space also- I don't know how to get rid of that.

Check out the Screenshot: http://www.qwlproductions.com/issues/

* Not knowing what the hell I was doing, I made another allocation of like 37G which is now 'unallocated' space. I just want the two yellow dynamic drives back together and my C drive.

I want to use my 40G & 80G drives without RAID...too much complication for me at the moment.

Do I have to remove RAID or can I somehow use Partition Magic or something else to work out this problem? I tried to break up the RAID array in the Fastrak utility but the array would just reconfigure when it processed no array info...

Thanks for any help!

beerabuser30

If you are using partition magic you should just be able to combine them back into one partition. Everything you have says that it is a primary drive which seems kind of odd to me.

Otmakus

U might have mistakenly set ur hard disks to RAID 1, a 40 gigs disk + 80 gigs disk in RAID 1 only gives u 40 gigs space. U have to remove RAID setup via the hardware RAID controller to use all 120 gigs. Before u do that, partition magic will only recognize ur disks as 2 40 gigs HDs.

I think that's what happened in ur case. Disk 1 and Disk 2 are ur real HD 1 and HD 2 (recognized as only 40 gigs), partition magic recognized ur RAID setup as Disk 3 and Disk 4.

My advice, since u only have 120 gigs total space (and that's not much, by today's standard), don't use RAID, if u absolutely don't want to ever lose ur data in case of a HD problem, back them up often.

Status
Not open for further replies.