Windows XP Repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWizKev826

I believe I will be performing a Windows XP repair install soon, I looked around on the internet for how to do it, and after I found out, I soon saw a note about using your product key to reactivate my computer.

I then used a program called keyfinder to find my Windows XP Home-Edition Key.
I got my Windows XPCD disc and I found out that both of the keys are different for some reason.

I'm wondering if I am able to repair sucessfully by using a disc with a different product key even though I know the original product key that my computer is currently using. Thank you.

On a lot of manufacture brand name computers (Dell; HP; Acer) Systems are built with a generic key (this way they don't have to create a unique CD for everyone)

You are suppose to use the key (C.O.A.) attached to your case though under re-install. But both will work.

Just have both ready (written down somewhere)

If this is not one of those popular manufactured computers, then it's quite possible the key installed is not an authentic key, in that case, just use yours.

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Tech Spot Repair Windows
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Midway through my installation, I received this error:

COM+ Setup Error
Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message.
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)
Error Code = 0x8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found.
Failed to load the library 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsvr.dll'.

I'm currently using a laptop i have to type this, I'm not sure if this would affect my installation but I'm just keeping my progress posted.

I think the repair has been sucessful, but I'm having some trouble accessing windows update through Internet explorer. The page simply isn't loading.

I figured there was something weird about the different keys. When I tried to run windows update, it said my version of windows wasn't genuine, I used the one on the cd, my previous key already on my computer was already genuine. When I ran the repair, I tried inputting the one I have already on my computer, and that one wouldn't work at all, I'm not sure what to do.

Hmm I've seen that complus issue as well. Sometimes it's actually faulty Ram
You may wish to re-seat the ram (blowing out any dust) or run Memtest for a while.

I don't think the Repair has been sucessful

Yes I do have a certificate of authenticity on the side of my computer.

The thing is, When I used the program called Keyfinder, It found a different key than the one on the side of the computer.

PokeWizKev826 said:
I tried inputting the one I have already on my computer, and that one wouldn't work at all.

Ok

Then the CD you are using is Not the original Windows CD for that key.

You will need to track down a Windows CD for your key, there are few different versions:
Upgrade
Full
(I had a link to a list once (it'll be on MS web site somewhere) suffice to say that your key doesn't suit that CD

Either locate the correct CD, or contact MS to order a new CD (at reduced cost)

By the way how many days is it giving you ?
You can reset the amount of days by

Reseting the Activation Trial:
------------------------------
In this example: Your activation period has expired, (past 30 days) and you need to get to Normal mode again.
1. Turn On your PC

2. Press F8 repeatedly and go to Safe Mode

3. Logon as per normal
(note: Administrator password is usually blank, but hopefully you know your password)

4. Allow the Desktop to fully load (answering "Yes" to continue into Safe Mode)
(note: This is just a long way of saying go to Safe Mode)

5. Click on Start - Run

6. Type in exactly: rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (and click OK)
(note: one space, after "rundll32.exe " also the Oo are two letter o's in "oobe"; capitals and comma are important)

7. Wait a couple of seconds (although you will Not see any change)

8. Restart your PC normally (Start - Shutdown - Restart - Ok)

9. You are now able to go to Normal Mode again (For another 30 days !!!)

10. Do whatever you like, you're back to Normal.

It's quite legal to do, and doesn't affect data, so forth.

Peculiar as it is, I was using an administrator account, but I tried safe mode as an administrator and i was able to go as far as starting the program itself. I would get as far as typing in the correct key I had before, but when I press Ok to do the change, I would get a Windows Script Host error. When not in safe mode, the error I received was 0x80041001.

I also tried, manually editing the registry, I edited a file called OOBETimer, and changed the values to cause the Windows key to deactivate. I tried reactivating it, but then it persists to say that my Windows version is already activated.

Other than the above links.

I must inform you, that I have had this on many occasions before.

On 99% of all occasions, I had to Re-Install (Repair) Windows using the correct CD
Understandably, you do not have that CD, I'm wondering if you are even able to borrow another?
I think, by calling MS, and quoting your C.O.A. they will be able to advise you, as to which version of Windows is required (after the conversation has progressed past all the innitial, why don't you have your CD?)

Please continue to post updates, as by this, I will reply to you, if I can.

Edit:
For some reason, I did not receive an email notification to your last message, I was just re-viewing the page, and luckily noticed your post.
I am definately subscribed to this thread, with instant email notification
So that's strange !

I've contacted Microsoft through e-mails about the problem, but before I go all the way with a phone call, I skipped over an option which I thought didn't work.

I saw this method of changing the key using this script. It says I can use it as a windows startup script, but I'm not quite sure how to use it.

'
' WMI Script - ChangeVLKey.vbs
'
' This script changes the product key on the computer
'
'***************************************************************************

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

if Wscript.arguments.count<1 then
Wscript.echo "Script can't run without VolumeProductKey argument"
Wscript.echo "Correct usage: Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PRSTU-WYQZX"
Wscript.quit
end if

Dim VOL_PROD_KEY
VOL_PROD_KEY = Wscript.arguments.Item(0)
VOL_PROD_KEY = Replace(VOL_PROD_KEY,"-","") 'remove hyphens if any
Dim WshShell
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents\OOBETimer" 'delete OOBETimer registry value
for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")

result = Obj.SetProductKey (VOL_PROD_KEY)

if err <> 0 then
WScript.Echo Err.Description, "0x" & Hex(Err.Number)
Err.Clear
end if

Next

I know I should change the key where it shows the alphabet in place of the key, but do I simply put this vbs script on an ms-dos boot disc and start it? Thanks.

Edit: that script is used for Windows XP without service pack 1.

Yes MS are saying you can use that script to deploy on many computers, that way it can be used in a batch file, pointing to the VBS file.

But, you can just copy this to Notepad (replace the letters and remove the dashes; and put in your key- without the dashes) then save it as (all files) ChangeVLKey.vbs and save it to anywhere (your Desktop will do)

And then run it from your Desktop (no need for a batch file or floppy or CD) the VBS file can be run from within Windows, on the computer to have the COA key replaced.

In simpler terms
do I simply put this vbs script on an ms-dos boot disc and start it?
No, just run it from anywhere.

When I click on the script on the desktop, I get this error.

"Windows Script Host"
Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script "C:\Documents and Settings\*my user name*\Desktop\ChangeVLKey.vbs

I then tried running regsvr32 vbscript.dll and I got an error message of 0x80004005

I seem to be running into one problem after another..

oh yes, by the way, in your previous post you asked how many days it is giving me for my activation. Once I started the computer after I did the repair install, I immediately got a notice in the log in screen on the bottom right hand corner notifying that I am a victim of software piracy.

I've been downloading the script for awhile. Its just been stuck at "Creating third party driver list". Oh and thank you very much for the help so far.

Edit: The program just suddenly finished, but I tried the script again and it still does not work. I'm trying windows script 5.6 now.

OK that's the one I was trying to find, I eventually found it, but when I saw 5.7 I thought ooo bonus.

Later on I thought, I wonder if that download requires authentication, hope not. But if so, you may need to download from another activated computer, and bring across (usb flash drive)

how strange, i rebooted my computer after 5.6 finished, and it says, "Windows Update" an error has occurred while setting up C:\Windows\System32\jscript.dll".

This error has been logged, the installation will continue.

Darn..it said the same for vbscript.dll

I am currently trying an option of resetting the permissions by using a reset command. I did this before when talking to a microsoft representative awhile back. I'm going to try and reinstall the script once it finishes.

That isn't good

if Start->Run. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll Doesn't work, then the best resolution is either SFC /SCANNOW or Repair Windows
As this is still a fresh install of Windows, I think we need to tackle this differently.

You know the CD you used to install Windows, is that a copied disc or an original ?
The concern is that Windows has not had all the files probably installed, and usually this is a sign of a non authentic disc.

I think, we should pause a moment, and go back a step
You don't actually want Vbscript, or even the VBS file
You want Windows activated with your key.

You must locate the proper Disc for your key (as mentioned way above)
If you cannot locate an authentic Disc for your key, then you must contact MS on purchasing one (not the key, the Disc - mind you they'll probably sell a new key with it)

Alternatively, there must be someone, with the same Disc as your key requires, that you may know (actually I agree most people won't say - here you go, take my Windows Cd !)

So, this is a little annoying !

Edit:

Take it to a computer Repair shop, and say here's my computer and product key, please install Windows and drivers, how much ?

The disc I had looked pretty authentic enough. But I think it may be copied. I just recently moved and all my computer related things got jumbled around. The disc I had may have been for a different older computer I had.

On the disc, it says Full installation, and it didn't work. So I suppose it isn't the right version.

As far as I can understand, regardless of the product key, all you need is the correct disc? I have a couple friends that I may be able to ask for the disc.

Correct

Grab a few of them!

Also stay in touch, it'll be nice to know the outcome
Ie located the right disc, installed Windows and all drivers (and Activated!)

Then imaged the entire system (we'll talk about that later!)

Good luck

Thanks for all the help kimsland, I'll let you know of my outcomes, sucessful i hope for them to be.

I do believe i see one other option though, as how I seem to be hunting them down.
I remember seeing that you suggest I just do a windows trial reactivation, which gives me 30 days.

When I installed Windows the first time, I remember seeing that immediately I got the piracy report. So that means I had no trial.

Later, I tried changing the key by editing the registry, namely the OOBETimer. I've realized that timer didn't work because of my code being registered already into the computer. So maybe if i try the trial, I can try and activate the correct code later.

Whoa, amazing. My run of the "reset" option finally finished, so i restarted the computer. And I was able to register jscript.dll, and vbscript.dll.

The change vlk script worked. So I changed it to the code listed on the sticker of my computer.

I'm currently restarting my computer to see if it actually worked.

Hmm, it didn't work, the program said it suceeded though.

Do you think it worked if the program says, script can't run without volume product key argument, then immediately after, correct usage Cscript ChangeVLKey.vbs (my C.O.A.) code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back