Windows XP SP2 freezes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

This weekend I installed WinXP SP2 on a Celeron 1.7 ghz machine.
Previously it worked perfectly, but now the system hangs without notice when installing Network Software (XP setup screen).

Changed the RAM (DDR2100) memory and still the PC freezes @ that point.
After that I changed the Video Card and WinXP installed perfectly, but now the PC freezes in WinXP itself (doing nothing, just mousing :) ).

Specs :

Celeron 1.7
256 MB DDR 2100
HDD 40 GB
Nvidia TNT2

Must tell that I put in the original RAM again as extra memory.
Any idea's ?

Make sure you update all the mobo chipset drivers, on-brd lan, sound and the video drivers to the latest versions you can find on-line at the manufacture's websites.
Next read my BSOD links below in my sig line. What power does your PSU and what amps on the 5 and 12V outputs? You can read that off the PSU label. See my link PSU label below.

cheers.

@Sjbrand99 :

No did not changed any hardware or updated / downgraded drivers
Problem was that the PC was freezing @ random time in XP (I thought it was because the people who owned that system installed alot of spyware etc software :) )

That's why I wanted to re-install the OS, but as said above with the install, the PC also freezes (except when I put in a different AGP videocard, then I can install it but the PC freezes when it's in Windows @ random time doing nothing, just showing the desktop).

@kirock :

Can't install those, because the PC is mostly frozen before I can do something
PSU = 300 Watt NoName PSU.
PSU specs I have to read when I am @ home :)

Today replaced the following components

- Videocard
- HDD
- HDD cable & where it was connected to (primair or secundair).

Also removed al extra components (soundcard, networkcard).

Still it hangs on XP setup and then most of the time on "Installing Network Software"

Just before the screen as you see in the screenshot

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/images/windows/instructions/reload/network.jpg

Also Memtest and a complete PC test from Quicktech did not show any errors.

Well I'm pretty sure XP needs the network card installed while it sets up the networking configuration, so that's prob why it's hanging there. Leave the sound card out for now. Clean the newtwork card connector before reinstalling.

256Mb Ram is pretty small for XP, it will run but will be prone to crashing.

Also with the networkcard installed, it hangs there :)
However after researching by the motherboard facturer, I noticed someone else with EXACT the same problems and who thought that the PSU or Motherboard or CPU was broken.

So everybody thanks for your help, but it looks like a hardware problem @ a point where it's better to get another machine I think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back