Windows xp will not load tried everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to put a new hard drive on my moms computer it would not take the win xp off the disk just would not load it so i put the old hard drive back in it and it was working fine and then all of a sudden it just continuously reloads to the same rediculous menu with the options of starting on safe mode start normally and no matter what you press it just keeps restarting itself. I tried taking out a stick of memory to see if it was in sleep mode did not work
i have pressed the f8 button on load and tried to repair or reinstall it just restarts itself it will say to run chkdsk and to restore if neccessary but no where gives me the command prompts to run chkdsk
i have changed the graphics card in desperation nothing seems to work
does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work and yes I do have the installation cd does not seem to be picking that up either ????
HELP

What HDD do you have? If it is a SATA try to replace the connector to the other stock. But i think that you will need to reinstall windows.

P.S. Befor reinstalling win get the HDD with Win XP on it, from a friend and try to run it.

it is an eide not a sata

What HDD do you have? If it is a SATA try to replace the connector to the other stock. But i think that you will need to reinstall windows.

P.S. Befor reinstalling win get the HDD with Win XP on it, from a friend and try to run it.

In order to run chkdsk, boot off of the XP CD, choose recovery console when prompted, then just type chkdsk /r from the c:> prompt. This has fixed many problems I have experienced in the past. Can't say for sure it will fix yours but give it a try. As for installing XP on to a new hard drive you don't provide enough details for me to tell you what to try. Also in order for the system to boot off CD you need to tell your BIOS (setup) to do just that. Usually press DEL or F2 or similar key at boot up time to get into BIOS.

After following gguerra's post above while still on Recovery Console do the below.

Type the following 5 commands hit enter at the end of each line. The D: should be your CD drive letter, if not type in the correct drive letter for the CD drive that contains the Boot CD..

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
COPY D:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY D:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
BOOTCFG /rebuild

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back