Windowx XP crashes changing sound volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

19giugno

Hello, my windows XP system crashes with a BSOD everytime I try to change the sound volume, both from the icon in the icon tray and from the control panel, audio settings. The weird thing is that the sound is working: I can hear windows sounds been playing at startup and I can also hear sounds from DVD or CD playing. I simply cannot change or disable the volume: the system crashes with a BSOD and even if the option to restart in case of errors is not enabled, it restarts on that BSOD and I don't have the chance to write down anything.

Event Viewer contains those information for the system error:
BCOde 1000007f BCP1: 00000008 bcp2:80042000 BCP3:0000000
BCP4:0000000 OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:1_0 PRODUCT:256_1

I have updated already the sound card driver, no success; I have tried already to replace the sndvol32.dll file, no success. I have researched the newsgroups, no success.

Sttached the last minidump file.

Can anyone help, please?

Regards,
D.

Attachments

• Mini091407-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for the reply. This is weird, cause I have checked my system tens of times with HJT, Avast, Norton Security Scan and Spyware doctor. BTW, please find attached my HJT Log. Is that enough?

Thanks,
D.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12.1 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system is infected with a nasty trojan rootkit. I have therefore moved your thread to our Security and the Web forum.

You`re also running an outdated version of HJT.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of 19giugno only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi, I have followed all the steps present into the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions link, that is very useful. At the end, rustbfix.exe downloaded from the internet solved my problem!

Thanks.
D.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back