winXP doesn't keep my settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

Whenever I restart winXP, my folder attributes keeps changing. For instance, I set my mp3 folder to "List," the next reboot it will go back to "Details."

Zone Alarm also has the problems; it keeps asking if I want apps to have internet access even though I've clicked yes infinitely many times.

How do I reset every setting in winXP so it's like I just installed

its scrubbing your profile for some reason i think. do you get any error message comming to you as soon as you log on>???

No errors. I only have one Administrator profile so winXP doesn't ask me which account I want to use and defaults to that one. I'm starting to think winXP ruined my monitor because even the refresh rate keeps changing from time to time, or may be it's the video card.

i'm getting a similar problem with Zonealarm, but not with the views option. I read somewhere that Zonealarm isn't XP compliant, that maybe the problem. It has learnt to give some apps internet access but not all, and it forgets some periodically....

it's not a big problem tho'

It's a big problem for me; each reboot it will ask me if I want outlook and norton antivirus to have internet access. Does the Generic HOst Process for win32 services also show up in your zone alarm? What exactly does that do?

I can help you with your folder settings. Its an XP bug.

Do the following:

Backup these keys just in case anything goes wrong.

1:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Sh
ellNoRoam\BagMRU]

2:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Sh
ellNoRoam\Bags]

After that delete them. and restart...your folder settings should get remembered now

I asked the same question as you. Someone replied and being more adventurous than you, I tried it. It worked! Believe me it doesn't mess up anything. However after a while (weeks, months?) the settings get forgotten again and you have to delete those keys again to fix it.

Originally posted by TonyH
However after a while (weeks, months?) the settings get forgotten again and you have to delete those keys again to fix it.

This seems like quite a hastle, I'm sure there is a way to make a permanent fix. I personally have no idea how, but someone else might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back