WinXP - fresh installation freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I just bought a new comp which I managed to build for the first time by myself. Everything works fine expect when I try to install WinXP and I get to this exact screen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedye/123739503/in/set-72057594099504282/ (not my computer) it either freezes or my keyboard stops working. I try pushing all buttons but nothing happends. Tried rebooting several times, tried switching HD's (from SATA to IDE), tried another keyboard etc. But none of these things work. What am I supposed to do?

I use PS2 for keyboards. Considering i've been testing around a lot I got a slight suspicion it's my mobo (which is new).

thanks for any help.

you need to check in the bios to make sure that PS\2 support is enabled. also is your keyboard a microsoft board? I have always had trouble with MS keyboards on installs. that is why I keep a cheap generic PS\2 board around for doing installs.

Hello. You're right. I've been googling my problem, talking with some friends etc. and I figured out the screen is not actually freezing - but my keyboard isn't working. i'm pretty sure the problem is my computer doesn't detect the PS/2 equipment when I get past BIOS. Someone with similar problem had to get an USB keyboard to make it work which I don't have acess to now.

The question now is how I enable PS/2 in BIOS, cuz I have no idea. All I find is USB Keyboard support which is on enable.

Thanks.

Ya, this is why i have a USB to PS/2 adaptor on my keyboard and always have. Go buy yourself one they're like $5 i think. Actually i have a spare, come to Illinois and get it if you want lol.

As allready noted your best bet is to buy an adapter. in the bios PS\2 is probably listed under "legacy" devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back