Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a wireless network set up, used to have a NetGear G wireless router, and now have the new Linksys N router. I have 4 different computers, two desktops with the Microsoft USB G adaptor, one Acer with internal Centrino and a Sony with internal centrino. Wired connections work perfectly when using both routers.

This is the problem: when wireless works, it works fine, but connections seem to drop intermittently. I switched the channels used on the new Linksys around, and used the new 'Wide' 40MHz channel settings, and wireless was fine for over a day, but now connections are dropping again. It's not a problem of computers I dont think, because the problem occurs with 4 different computers (although at *slightly* different time intervals): the wireless connection is dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is to reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to work. As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but distance does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.

any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in order to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the option of wireless 802.11a with its different band?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

thank you,

RG

Restarting (or stopping then starting) the windows wireless zero configuration utility does *not* make the router signal reappear on any computers...it seems that the only way to bring connections back is to reset or restart the router.

Thats wireless for ya!

I have the same problem and have not been able to find any solution.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back