Wireless internet connection on Vista laptop but no connection on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfastlane1

hi everyone im almost having the same problem, i just purchased a wirless netgear wgt624 router and i have a hp vista laptop. i also have an arris touchtone comcast dsl modem. my problem is that i can connect to the internet wirelessly thought the router. but i can not connect on the internet on my desktop. i would like to get the internet goin at the same time both through the router. i have tried to insert an e cable from the router directly to the computer but i get limited or no connectivity. and its not the cable bcuz i swapped out with another e cable and the same result occurs. plz help

Are you looking to keep the Desktop hardwired with an Ethernet cable or use a wireless USB/PCI adapter/card?

Also, try resetting the router &/or changing the routers DHCP IP range.

yes i want to keep the desktop wired with an ethernet but like i said wen i plug the e cable in from the router to the computer i get limited or no connectivity

do you have zone alarm or comodo firewalls on the computer that can't connect and did you recently install Microsoft update KB951978

if so you just need to reduce zone alarm from High to medium or configure comodo to allow the specific program to connect

no you don't but there was an issue with those in the last 2 days that I thought may have caused a conflict for you. That obviously wasn't your problem then

djfastlane1 said:
what is the diff?

e-cable: The ISO/IEC 11801 standard for copper wire cable rated at up to 250 MHz.

I am just going to assume you were shortening Ethernet Cable to E Cable so that post wasn't really pointful from him :|

Anyway, simple questions

1. Have you always had this problem with your desktop? Is this a new desktop?

2. Please go to device manager, right click my computer > properties > hardware > Device Manager, are there any yellow markers by your network adapters?

3. If so, can you please tell us the model of your motherboard/network card?

4. Is your system setup to "Obtain Network IP automatically"?

5. In what order is your network setup, Desktop > Router > Modem ?

6. What type of router do you have?

1. well i never really was aware because usaually our modem is connected through usb. but our modem also has a ethernet port.
2. how do i get to the device manager?
3. read num 2
4. yes
5. DESKTOP>MODEM>ROUTER
6. netgear wgt624 wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back