Wireless Network Connected, No Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpinnz

So I have looked at many threads and topics with a similar issue. My setup is simple, wireless router for modem with a few people using their laptops to get internet access. Everyone, when they say they are connected to the network, has internet access except for me.

It will say that I'm connected to the network, but in either firefox or internet explorer, it will tell me page cannot be displayed. When i connect via network cable, i get online without any issues. also, if i select the connection, it tells me that is has received no packets at all.

I don't know how to use ping and if i even did it correctly. when i had the wire in i tried to ping www.google.com and did, but trying wireless it tells me that it can't find the address every time. i did notice my friend's laptop has an IP address starting with 192 and mine starts with 168. also, her address type under "support" is "assigned by DHCP" and mine says something different, something about "automatic address" something. i checked to make sure everything for wireless was set to automatically set the settings, and everything looked fine. everyone in the house is also running xp, including myself. i also have norton internet securities and something else norton that has antivirus and system protection, but i can't uninstall either of them. they tell me to login online or get admin privledges even when im logged in as admin to remove them. should i use the removal tool provided by norton to fix this? i disabled any norton features i could find at startup thinking it might have been a software issue, but there was no change.

my computer knowledge is weakest in networks, so any help provided would be nice if it was written for someone who doesn't know all the commands and how to use them. thanks a ton for any advice offered and ill be sure to answer any questions that you might have in trying to get closer to helping me solve this.

If your wireless network is protected by a passkey, make sure you have entered the passkey correctly. Tjat is one issue that could make the internet not accessible to you. The ping ctility will only help you test connectivity, not to fix any connectivity problems, so don't bother about that. also check if all others have used static addressing, meaning whether they manually typed in IP addresses into their systems, if so, do the same but make sure the only difference in the numbers you use is in the last number. Use a number different from others there but not greater than 255.

If after these, you still have problems, check the full IP address used by a asystem and manually type in your own IP address in the manner I have specified above.

Hope this will help.

Yes sometimes they connect anyway but it won't work because its the wrong key. Like akannitaoheed said put the IP settings in manually (copied from another pc that works, with a different last digit for the IP) in the wireless settings, and see if it works that way.

i did that (another pc was 192.168.0.104 and i changed the computer that had issues to 192.168.0.105) and it still didnt work. other thoughts?

When you put the IP in manually did you also put in the gateway and dns servers in ? the only other thing i can think is try uninstalling the wireless adapter and reinstalling it. do this:

1. right click my computer, then click properties.

2. click on the hardware tab then click device manager.

3. look for network adapters and find the wireless, right click it and uninstall.

4. close all open windows and restart your computer.

then it will reinstall once its booted again see if that makes a difference, but if its saying you don't have admin privileges to uninstall software, maybe you'll struggle to do that.

When i connect via network cable, i get online without any issues.
Are you saying that if you bypass the wireless router and run the cable directly into the CPU that you can connect without problem?

If yes, suspect either router gone bad or not configured correctly. I am under the impression that this is a new problem and at some time, the router did work. If this is wrong, then the router was never properly configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back