Wireless without adaptor on my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFJ

Hi Folks,

is this weird or what? Last Friday the security guys installed the final phase of a new system that included a wireless router. It think they could have just used a standard one but most nowadays are wireless. When I came back after the weekend I switched my Dell Inspiron 510M on and received a prompt "Choose a wireless network". Strange because I didn't have my Belkin Network Card slotted into the side of the laptop.

So I sneaked into the survelance room and wrote down the address code and entered it into the box provided during the prompt....IT WORKED!!! Access to the outdie World via the internet while bypassing the company server.

Is the signal so strong that the eletronics in the laptop can pick up the signal (full strength) or am I being radiated with radiowaves? Shoild I be worried?

Best Regards

PFJ

Guess what? Your laptop has a built in wireless card already and you were weakening it by installing a Belkin external PCMCIA adapter. Happy computing!

Thanking you Tmagic650,

Yeah; I noticed that when I inserted the Belkin G Notebook Network Card into the laptop here at work that it would not function correctly. I've always assumed that I needed it when working at home with my bb wireless router.
I downloaded the manual from Dell (7.6MB) but I see no reference to an 'internal network card'.

I'll try it this evening at home without the external card.

Again thanks.

Regards

PFJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back