Works (.wps) file not Kinkos friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri7man

So I made a car detail flier for my neighborhood and I made it all nice n dandy with the fonts and size I want.

I took it Kinko's to make mass copies and they said it would not work in that format.(.wps I guess)

Now I had a friends mom who is computer savvy redo it in like .pdf format...but she changed all my cool fonts and advertising cause she didn't like it..

Is there any way I can make my flier kinkos friendly w/o losing my cool fonts and such, I spent ALOT of time on it :(

Last I knew, Works had an export function...
you may be able to export to a file format that is Kinkos compatible.

Depends entirely on the Kinkos... some do work with Works. Some do not. But you can export into a format Microsoft will pickup... and certainly, my copy of WordPerfect will import Works files.
The problem is that Kinkos, and all other public printers, must use official software they have paid for... Works costs them $149.00

Of course there are many, many hundreds of thousands of users of Works... It works for a lot of people and has been around since 1983... that is a lot of years of experience.. It has training. It is consistent with what friends may use. They do not have to learn something new.
OpenOffice is perhaps better for users learning for the first time, but it has its own flaws.
There are a heck of a lot of Works users... and the next version will be free with sponsored support. True it is not a high end program but it does what is needed by a lot of users all around the world.
Some of us have to know works to deal with all the people who are users. It will not go away anytime soon... and it will be a long time before OpenOffice has as many users as Works already does.

you'll find you can load documents in many formats in OO (except .wps) and you can save in many formats. The default format is the international opendocument standard, but you can change the settings to .doc if you wish or pdf.

There are many free converters from .wps to .doc

or you can use works to save in .doc format which OO can import directly.

I am writing a book in OO and i have used it for many years now. I'll never pay for commercial software as logn as there is a good opensource alternative.

The only software around that I have not found a good opensource alternative to is M$ money. Unfortunately M$ is discontinuing Money at the end of the month permanently.

I've not used this, but Primo PDF printer may be your best option http://www.primopdf.com/

Or really any other PDF printer. That way you can do whatever you want in Works, then 'print' it to a PDF file that will (or should) look exactly how it would if you really printed it. Then you can take that PDF to kinkos for them to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back