Wrong windows key

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi guys.

I have recentley had a problem with system 32. I sent it to a repair man who had to re install windows. He then had a problem with the little red floppy that came with the pc and so had to put an illegal version on my pc. Is there any way i can change the key back to my origional version to make it legal again

Do you have a legit Windows XP cd? If so, I suggest you reformat and start again from scratch.

If you don`t have an XP cd, you should contact Microsoft asap and give them the details of what has happened.

Whoever the repair man is, he`s obviously dodgy. No self respecting pc tech, would put an illegal copy of Windows on a clients pc.

Regards Howard :)

yer that is what the problem was supposidley wrong is that when i put in my red floppy disk it came up with insert CD 1 and we have no idea what is going on. Microsoft also couldnt help with the problem as they have no idea what is gone wrong. we think it maybe something to do with the copy of windows that the guy has put on. So there is no way of inputting the validation code without re setting then? because microsoft and the technitian have been no help at all. THe only reason i wanted to do it was to get media player updates and IE updates because they are really old so any further help would be great! :D

I`m sorry, but I don`t really have any other suggestions, other than you buy a copy of WindowsXp and start from scratch. I don`t know how many times you`ve been in contact with Microsoft, but it might be worth contacting them again.

Regards Howard :)

Do you still have your original key ? If your original Windows is the same as the pirated one, you can simply change keys & re-activate your copy. From the horse's mouth:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
6. Click Start, and then click Run.
7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK.
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
9. Click Change Product key.
10. Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.
11. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:
Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
12. Click OK.
13. Install Windows XP SP1 or a later version of Windows XP.

no when i ran windows media player it still came up with ive been a victim of counterfitting and wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back