Xbox One outsells PlayStation 4 on Black Friday, data reveals

Shawn Knight

Staff member

xbox playstation black sony microsoft gaming black friday playstation 4 xbox one console sales black friday 2014

Microsoft's efforts to close the sales gap between rival Sony and win the holiday season appear to be paying off, at least early on.

According to data from market research firm InfoScout, the Xbox One was responsible for 53 percent of all console sales on Black Friday. Sony, meanwhile, only managed to capture 31 percent of sales with its PlayStation 4 on what most would agree is the busiest shopping day of the year.

Microsoft’s next generation console was offered for $329 without the Kinect motion sensing accessory at multiple retailers. That’d be a solid price for the console alone but the Redmond-based company took it a step further by bundling it with some of the year’s hottest games like Assassin’s Creed Unity.

xbox playstation black sony microsoft gaming black friday playstation 4 xbox one console sales black friday 2014

The PlayStation 4 was also on sale during Black Friday albeit it wasn’t quite as cheap as the Xbox One. Sony offered its latest console bundled with titles such as Grand Theft Auto V and The Last of Us: Remastered for $399.

Rounding out the top five consoles is the Xbox 360 which captured nine percent of sales, Nintendo’s Wii U in fourth place with six percent and the PlayStation 3 at just one percent of all sales on Black Friday.

InfoScout gathered sales data from two smartphone apps that reward shoppers for snapping and submitting photos of their receipts. On Black Friday, app users uploaded more than 182,000 sales receipts.

Permalink to story.

To be fair here in the UK the Xbox One could be had at our local Game store for £300 with 4 games! An incredible deal, While the PS4 was £400 with 5 games which isn't anywhere near as impressive.

It's tempting to buy a console, but I will have to stick with "PC only"; the few exclusives that consoles have to offer are very expensive in comparison to PC games.

Also probably this far out most of the guys who would have bought a PS4 already did :p

Duh the price drop. Microsoft can sell the XB1 at a loss for the next 5 years without blinking as long as they are making it back by selling services(XBlive, Music, Movies, etc) while Sony as a whole just can't at this time. I would be shocked if XB1 have a ton of exclusives from 3rd parties down the pipe(by greasing their hands).

This isn't surprising at all. Hell, when I saw the price cuts they applied to the XBOne packages I damn near ordered one myself.

Duh the price drop. Microsoft can sell the XB1 at a loss for the next 5 years without blinking as long as they are making it back by selling services(XBlive, Music, Movies, etc) while Sony as a whole just can't at this time. I would be shocked if XB1 have a ton of exclusives from 3rd parties down the pipe(by greasing their hands).

I'm quite sure the price drop is because the Kinect 2.0 is no longer bundled with the system. Even still, I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft are selling their consoles at a loss. The xboxone doesn't have as good hardware as the PS4, so a standalone unit should cost less.

Does not work like that. A company can't lose money for long for the sake of another division. This is bad managing. Xbox division should be able to make profit by itself.

The price was killer. It had me trying to rationalizing buying my first Xbox brand console. The Master Chief Collection is pretty much my only interest in trying anything Xbox. Regretfully, it won't happen. I won't own more then one current gen console and I won't be buying anything but a PS4 this gen.

Does not work like that. A company can't lose money for long for the sake of another division. This is bad managing. Xbox division should be able to make profit by itself.
oh, it does work like that. look at the 3d0 and the neo geo, both systems that sold for a profit. both were ridiculously expensive ($700 for the 3d0, $800 for the neogeo), and both flopped miserably. the sega genesis and the snes, which were sold at a loss? made huge amounts of money and sold tens of millions of units. companies loose money on the consoles, and make it back on the sweet licensing of the right to make games for the system. that is where the money is. the only exception to this was the wii, which was using 6 year old gamecube hardware, and almost all consoles are sold for a profit by the time they are that old.

It's tempting to buy a console, but I will have to stick with "PC only"; the few exclusives that consoles have to offer are very expensive in comparison to PC games.

Best of both worlds is PC and Wii U, consoles have very limited exclusives. Some of which are just timed exclusives, and bound to land on PC with some included DLC. Nintendo on the other hand has exclusives and really, is very unwilling to give up said IPs. Also there's usually more time and dedication put into titles, unlike those of third parties who often just rush their IPs.

Name really what's so good, on a PS4 and XB One that is worth really getting? Consoles really lack a lot of variety, because a lot is also shared with PC for more sales. Nintendo seems to be the only one, who has anything unique and honestly I enjoy that. I'm far from a Nintendo fanboy either, given I had a SNES then went to Sony, Sega and even Microsoft camps. (PS1 / Dreamcast / PS2 / Xbox / 360 / Wii)

I prefer PC because honestly, there's more options without issues of missing old titles. You don't need to drag out an old PC, just to play something from x years ago like a console. Yes there's the "virtual" console thing with Wii U (intend to get one still!), PS+ and such, but really you need to otherwise have to buy the game again. Provided you hate to drag a console out, just to play something from maybe 5-10 years ago.

Back