Xbox One will work without Kinect, gamepad to support PCs in 2014

Scorpus

Staff member

xbox kinect pcs pc gaming gamepad controller sensor xbox one

Microsoft seems to be making a habit of completely reversing decisions and statements surrounding their upcoming Xbox One console. After notably dropping the unpopular online check-in requirement and used game restrictions, now the company is saying the console will operate without the Kinect sensor plugged in after all.

Originally Microsoft confirmed that the Xbox One would require the second-generation Kinect, which is bundled with the console, to be plugged in at all times. However, it's now been confirmed by Chief Platform Architect Marc Witten that you can actually unplug the Kinect, and "like online, the console will still function".

Witten confirmed that features which "explicitly used the sensor", understandably, won't be available with the Kinect unplugged. While this will prevent you from using voice commands or gestures, the system will still be usable through the gamepad. Witten also confirmed that users will be able to turn the sensor off in the console's settings: "the sensor is not collecting any information" with this setting enabled, he said.

In other news, the Xbox One's gamepad will become compatible with PCs next year thanks to official drivers currently in development by Microsoft. Right now, to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a PC you need to purchase an additional dongle, however differences between the Xbox 360 gamepad and the Xbox One gamepad have made matters cheaper and simpler to pair with a traditional computer.

When the Xbox One's controller is plugged in to the console via a micro-USB cable, its wireless radios are shut off, allowing it to function like a standard wired controller. It's likely this wired mode functionality will be used to make the gamepad compatible with PCs, but it's unclear if a dongle will be available for a wireless experience.

According to Microsoft, they will be working hard to ensure the Xbox One's controller will work with all games that support the Xbox 360 controller. This requires a lot of work so the drivers are expected to be available in 2014.

Permalink to story.

At this point, microsoft might consider all games features that require the kinect. You never know with them. Although its slowly getting easier to see the one as a useable console, im not buying supporting a product that was so flawed to begin with.

Hopefully people believe now that Microsoft didn't really plan on using the Kinect to hack into living rooms to watch slack-jawed gamers stare at their television.

It was obviously flawed to begin with plus who wants to go with a company that have lied+screwed over their customers? Microsoft isn't the better company for thinking with their wallets I mean come on they wouldn't be like "oh our customers want this lets put in it" they are like "oh customers want this in lets tell them they dont need it"

It was obviously flawed to begin with plus who wants to go with a company that have lied+screwed over their customers? Microsoft isn't the better company for thinking with their wallets I mean come on they wouldn't be like "oh our customers want this lets put in it" they are like "oh customers want this in lets tell them they dont need it"

Funny how easily people forget Sony's completely botched hacking catastrophe and everything that went down with geohot. I would trust MS over Sony any day of the week. Do you REALLY believe that Sony isn't thinking with their wallets? Give me a break!

Funny how easily people forget Sony's completely botched hacking catastrophe and everything that went down with geohot. I would trust MS over Sony any day of the week. Do you REALLY believe that Sony isn't thinking with their wallets? Give me a break!

Did you forget how easy it is to hack? pentagon hacked US military hacked... seriously stop thinking it takes 3 simple steps to prevent yourself from being hacked and I know what sony did but atleast they are thinking of their customers as well lol microsoft are only thinking about money thats it.

I'm pretty sure a 12yr old also hacked the pentagon so please dont think a company can be completely secure as they aren't and never will be!

The ONLY reason why Microsoft had to conform to the consumers demands was that no one was going to buy the xbox one. Only because they realized people were voting with their money that the xbox one was **** did they change. Neither company (microsoft or sony) would release a new console that's supposed to be their best console into the public knowing that it wouldn't turn a profit.

If Microsoft was the better company, they would have addressed consumer ideas and problems BEFORE they made the XboxOne and then none of this would have happened. As with Win8, Microsoft thought they knew better than what the typical customer wanted and came back and bit them on the ***.

If Microsoft was the better company, they would have addressed consumer ideas and problems BEFORE they made the XboxOne and then none of this would have happened. As with Win8, Microsoft thought they knew better than what the typical customer wanted and came back and bit them on the ***.

Then blamed it on the companies like Dell, HP etc. they are pathetic!

I'm still deciding whether if this would be something worth the investment. I mean I'd rather have a 360. I don't care about the latest and greatest. I care about whats going to work good. I mean it may look nice, doesn't mean it's going to be as good or better than the 360. It's like the iPhone line. They keep putting out new releases when they all look alike! maybe a little thinner and smaller the newer they get. Its ridiculous really. If something is working good in the market, just do a couple upgrades to it. Don't redesign it and make it totally new.

Honestly all this thread has turned into now is a fanboy war, I was stating facts and common sense opinions (such as the xbox one being flawed to begin with) and people still deny them.
Whatever. If I get a console its going to be a PS4 because they actually know and care about what their fanbase wants, and thats simply gaming. They also arent trying to pocket my money after I buy used games and trying to monitor my console continually.

EDIT: I might also add that I didnt deny sony thought with their wallets. Every successful company thinks with their wallets. Sony just does the most basic thing every company should do, listen to their consumer base before making decisions.

Honestly all this thread has turned into now is a fanboy war, I was stating facts and common sense opinions (such as the xbox one being flawed to begin with) and people still deny them.
Whatever. If I get a console its going to be a PS4 because they actually know and care about what their fanbase wants, and thats simply gaming. They also arent trying to pocket my money after I buy used games and trying to monitor my console continually.

Dont forget its $100 cheaper haha

All I have to to say is "THANK F*CK!" now only one more step Microsoft, a package without the Kinect (and lower price of course) and your onto a winner!

All I have to to say is "THANK F*CK!" now only one more step Microsoft, a package without the Kinect (and lower price of course) and your onto a winner!

xbox 360 vs xbox one = xbox one winner but xbox one vs ps4 = ps4 winner its more powerful, cheaper, didn't screw over their customers and you get free games!

xbox 360 vs xbox one = xbox one winner but xbox one vs ps4 = ps4 winner its more powerful, cheaper, didn't screw over their customers and you get free games!

Don't worry man I agree with ya! I don't plan on actually buying anything Xbox anymore after the 360, it served me well but its been extremely crap for the last 2 years, I'm PS4 all the way at the moment unless Microsoft suddenly go back to the old Xbox days, hell I'm purchasing my first PS3 in a week!

How long until Microsoft offers an Xbox One at retail that does not include a Kinect and they drop the price $100 to match the PS4 price?

How long until Microsoft offers an Xbox One at retail that does not include a Kinect and they drop the price $100 to match the PS4 price?

The NSA are probably paying microsoft big cash to get customers keep it so they can see what your doing.
They can't see much with Kinect. If you are using it, you are probably playing games, not plotting another 9-11 or some ****.

They can't see much with Kinect. If you are using it, you are probably playing games, not plotting another 9-11 or some ****.

Still it wouldn't surprise me specially when its microsoft that lie to you and everybody then work with the NSA to give all your non-encrypted&encrypted stuff whilst helping un-encrypt your encrypted stuff :) Plus you never know someone could be plotting something and it could get caught by the kinect which the NSA would very much abuse.

Microsoft and the NSA are like 2 lovers they love each other soo much they start giving each other stuff then screwing over others whilst telling them they aren't doing just that.

News update: Microsoft lost all backbone! "We stand firm! That is, until the public doesn't like it... then we backup and squirm..."

I wasn't an Xbox fan before, I sure as heck am not now. I don't care if they backed out of so many of the items that we really disliked about it. They still tried to screw everyone first, then backed up. In this case the backup was a good thing but, I'm still not going to support em. Just no need. The PS4 (actually my PC) will be more then plenty.

Ok yeah your going to trust them still over sony! Im shocked truley, its like going out on a 2nd date with someone who tried to rape you on the 1st. Your going to get what you desrve.

Dont forget on xbone your fancy bluetooth headphones wont work because they want you to spend even more money. Also the update to remove nazi settings will cost you $59

Why does it take so long to get working drivers? There hasn't been a button layout change, there's no increased/removed buttons, there's no other axis... there is only a couple extra vibration motors. It should take an hour at most to hack the drivers to work via micro USB, and a couple more weeks I guess to include the extra vibration support. It's not even wireless at this stage!

Back