XFX 6800GS Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a problem with a couple games i have played. What will happen is that at random intervals really using different operating systems and different driver versions i will be playing the game and all of a sudden the game locks the screen is filled with lines that resemble what was on the screen (this is in 3d full screen mode) and about 30 seconds later the sound will lock up (rather sounds like u have 100% CPU in 1 one program and the music player is playing 1 bit of sound at each CPU interval)

Like i said this has happened using different driver versions and happened in XP Pro and Vista Business.

Its a nVidia 6800GS from XFX and i have upgraded the PSU from a 430W to an ENERMAX 535W EG565P-VE.

I think its the Video Card but i have used the 3DMark test program on it and it didn't mess up then. What do you think is the problem?

If its the video card, i am thinking i will go to the ATI X1900XTX or X1950XTX
Games:
-Rise of Legends
-EVE: Online
-F.E.A.R.
-Command and Conquer: Generals

System:
MOTHERBOARD:
Model: MSI K8N SLI (MS-7185)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings: 3-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

CPU:
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
CPU Alias: Venice S939
CPU Clock: 2412.4 MHz (original: 2400 MHz)

MEMORY:
Kingston ValueRAM 512 MB PC3200 DDR (X2)
Samsung M3 68L6523CUS-CCC 512 MB PC3200 DDR (X2)
All at 3.0-3-3-8 Timings

GRAPHICS:
Video Adapter: XFX GeForce 6800 GS
GPU Clock: 486 MHz
Memory Clock548 MHz

O/S:
Vista Business (yes its Genuine)

PSU:
+12V Total (2 +12V rails): 18A
Total Power: 535W

Could be heat, but I'd expect you to see the same problems in 3dmark then.

So since you've only tried Vista I'm going to have to say it is driver related. The nVidia drivers for Vista are pretty poor right now, lots of problems if you look around the web. Personally I ran the stock drivers (that came with Vista) the 100.65s and some non WHQL 101.something and expierenced problems with all 3. Stock would crash when alt tabbing out of a game and then back in, 100.65s I'd get massive screen corruption when Vista pops up any dialog boxes and on the login screen, and same thing with the 101s.

I'd just wait it out, and keep checking places like guru3d.com for newer versions. Don't wait for the official WHQL drivers from nVidia because their release cycle is too slow for people having problems.

Edit: Crap, just read you are having problems in XP Pro too. Now I'd definately check the heat issue. Run with the case off and a big fan blowing onto the comp. If you still have problems, underclock your card and see if they go away. See if you can monitor the card's temps. If they are below about 80C and you still have problems then I think it is time for a new card.

So Temps Under 80C is what i want...hmm...EVEREST says i got an GPU Ambient 43C and 98C GPU temp

would that mean i need to replace the Stock Video Card cooler or should i get a cooler card and put it in a slot under the card?

better core cooling is always better than secondary. I'd say look up a heatsink and fan to replace the stock one then you should be good.

I just guessed with 80C. nVidia throttles the 7800s at 120 or 125C, so at 98 you still have some headroom before throttling if the 6800s have the same temp ratings. But again, those problems do seem like they could be heat related, I wouldn't buy anything yet, just blow a house box fan on your system and watch the temps. If they go down and the crashes go away then look into buying something.

98C is quite hot for a 6800GS under full load. That's more like the standard operating temp for a X19xx series card. Also, the wierd lines and the lockups are indicative of heat-induced problems.

Alright i got the case off and a fan going on low and its dropping the temp like crazy, gonna see how it reacts during the game.

but ur saying that the crazy lines of game graphics is heat caused problems?

Normally yes. They are called artifacts. As for 3DMark, it depends on which version you ran. 3DMark 2003 wouldn't stress a 6800GS as much as 3dMark 2005 would, for example, which is why you might not be getting artifacts.

99-100C is a dangerous core temp. NV cores normally downclock when they reach 125C so you still have some headroom but I'd suggest not taking any chances and getting an aftermarket cooler like the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 or, if you can afford it, the Accelero X1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back