XP 32Bit to Vista 64Bit = Constant harddrive activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemailey

I run a dell XPS700

I upgraded to Vista 64 bit from xp 32bit.

When I'm not using my PC the hard drive constantly accesses stuff.

Becomes extremely loud and annoying.

Not running any programs not even a virus scan nothing. but drive is spinning and something is accessing the drive.

Anyone else experienced this?
Harddrive was extremely quite until vista was put on around 2months back.

Yes, I have been experiencing this same phenomenon. And I am hoping it is because the hard drive is busy indexing it for when i need to do searches in the future. For now, it is ALWAYS doing something and i can hear the hard drive spinning all the time. If anyone discovers the exact reason, please post it. :-D

It's posted by Mict...htli :)D sorry, can't memorize completely) above ;)

You could check with Task Manager which process is causing the disk activity. Just add some I/O columns to the processes list, and if it's svchost or some other process, check the process ID from services tab.

Vista also has an automatic defragmenter which may run when the computer is idle (depends on how you've scheduled it).

Windows Vista

I have windows vista and while reading forums i came across this (can't remember where). Windows vista logs programs you use frequently and at different times and loads the program into machine code (stored in Ram) so that when you load it it is readily available to use and takes far less time to load up. So if you always use mircrosoft word at 5 o'clock every day windows vista will load word into RAM so it can be accessed rapidly just before 5 o'clock. I honestly don't know whether this is correct in your case but that is what vista does.
Hope this helps your problem
Regards
P.S. - I have the 32 bit version of Vista on my laptop, whats the difference?
Thanks - Hope you solve your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back