XP doesnt read entire HD size

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to set up a 400 gb seagate hard drive on presario 1710nx desktop. Bios does show the true size but XP reads it as 131 gb...any suggestions?

thanks

ZWERVER said:
Hi, wich xp you try to install??? SP1, try it whit SP2... should show the reale size of HDD

I have the old xp disc( pre-sp1)...i did install sp2 ..but even then it shows the same size

the old xp without sp shows only 131 gig, you have to find xp whit SP1 or SP2 within, otherwise try it with partition magic. u can resize partition after installation of windows xp. succes.

sorry for my english.

if u have any questions, please.

you are right....it didnt work ...partion magic does see everything

thanks

ZWERVER said:
the old xp without sp shows only 131 gig, you have to find xp whit SP1 or SP2 within, otherwise try it with partition magic. u can resize partition after installation of windows xp. succes.

sorry for my english.

if u have any questions, please.

Re Partition Magic

Did you actually buy this and only format your 400 as 1 partition ?
Or are you only reading C in My Computer ?
You only need PMagic after to change 1 into 2 or 3.
So How many partitions do you have ? Where are you getting the size
reading ?
You have to read and total all partitions.
It will be less than 400,but not much.1 MB is 1032 bytes.
HD's are measure a MB as 1000.

My 160 is measured as 156 GB.My 3 partition total.

What Windows shows you is the size the paritition(s) you have on your HDD. If you want to see more of your HDD, increase your default partition size or add more partitions from the unparitioned space on your HDD.

No one seems to have hit the problem.

READ
Windows SP1 does not support 48-bit LBA. 48-bit LBA is REQUIRED to access hard disk space over 137gb. This means that in sp1, a 400gb hdd will only show 137gb.

To FIX it, just install SP2 and the rest of your hard disk will become accessable.

Just google 48bit LBA for more info.

i first installed xp ( pre-sp1)..then installed http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm ..nothing happened...followed that with sp2 install..still no luck...

although PM sees all 400 gb but i would prefer not to use it..
Ph30nIX said:
No one seems to have hit the problem.

READ
Windows SP1 does not support 48-bit LBA. 48-bit LBA is REQUIRED to access hard disk space over 137gb. This means that in sp1, a 400gb hdd will only show 137gb.

To FIX it, just install SP2 and the rest of your hard disk will become accessable.

Just google 48bit LBA for more info.

i did a clean install with xp....all it can read is 131 gb

...there are no other partitions or any unused hd

almcneil said:
What Windows shows you is the size the paritition(s) you have on your HDD. If you want to see more of your HDD, increase your default partition size or add more partitions from the unparitioned space on your HDD.

I assumed you hadnt screwed up the partitioning, but maybe your bios doesnt support 48-bit LBA. I know i had trouble with my 500gb sata HDD and did it through administrator tools to format it. This was the only way possible.

Go control panel > admin tools > computer managment > storage > disk management .

Just try muck around there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back