XP Professional start-up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all !

I have a Dell D400 running Windows XP Professional that was recently upgraded to SP3 by the company network. I also installed a software update from Rockwell Automation. Following this the computer is hanging up on the Windows Welcome screen. I re-started in safe mode and see that I am hanging up right after a McAfee driver MFEHIDK.SYS loads. I think I have a registry problem but I can't get booted up, even is Safe Mode from the Dell recovery CD. I removed the hard drive and plugged it into a USB reader on another computer, and I can see the drive. Is there a way to alter the Autoexec.bat or Config.sys to start Windows without loading anything but the minimum?

:dead:

Try booting with selective startup. Press "F8" when starting computer and select which processes you want to run. If you can boot in to 'safe mode' and disable the Mcafee software (click RUN in start menu, type 'msconfig', go to the 'startup' tab and uncheck all the Mcafee processes. Try booting normally and see how it does.
Run through these processes to check your registry/hard drive and post results. :)
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Safe mode IS loading anything but the minimum. You can simply rename the McAfee driver and the system will not load it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back