XP Reboots - Desperate Plea For Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbopo

Hi There
I'm hoping someone can help me with a major problem i'm having. A few weeks back I got a direct lightning strike on my power cables that ended up frying my ethernet, sound and graphics cards all of which I've managed to replace via ebay at reasonable prices.

As far as I could tell the motherboard was ok however running memtest at bootup showed there was damage to my ram. The problem with me running memtest, though, is that i have no idea what the stats mean.

The second, more serious problem is that the computer will not run long enough for me get much done. It reboots itself every once and while in an almost random manner - no blue screen, just a reboot. Even writing to a text file, as I'm doing right now, may cause it to give up the ghost, let alone running a more complex program.

I was hoping someone out there might examine my dump files and give me a hand trying to track down where the problem is. Most obviously it seems to be a RAM issue but others have told me they think its the whole motherboard.

Any assistance would be keenly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mbopo

System: Pentium 4/1.6 GHz, I GB Ram, Windows XP Pro SP2,
ASUS Motherboard P4S333, Radeon 9200 Pro Graphics card,
E-MU 1212m soundcard

After a power surge allot of things can be broken.
You could start by replacing the RAM, you need new RAM anyway.
After that you could look if there are more problems.
The random reboots are 99% sure because of the defect RAM

"The random reboots are 99% sure because of the defect RAM" - Thanks Crazy. Is that experience speaking or did you manage to have a look at the dumps?

Cheers
Mbopo

Mbopo said:
"The random reboots are 99% sure because of the defect RAM" - Thanks Crazy. Is that experience speaking or did you manage to have a look at the dumps?

Cheers
Mbopo

You said
running memtest at bootup showed there was damage to my ram.

So you got bad ram :), if you have defective ram then it won't work and you'll get BSOD's/reboots etc.

If memtest shows errors then the first thing to solve is the bad ram, the problem might go away :)

Okeedokes.. Thanks mate.. Removed one stick and ran memtest - seems fine and no reboots as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back