Xps 400 Do Think This Is Worth It?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ii dont kno much about computers but i still want to buy a good one and not get ripped off... it is a dell XPS 4oo

-Pentium® D Processor 930 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)

-256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800

-2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

-320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB cache

-Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

-Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1

-19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1907FP Digital Flat Panel

overall with other little feat. it came out to be $$1,570... what do u guys think... is the pc alright for the price??? BTW im not an extreme gamer or anything like that i just want a fast computer that i can play cs in. lol

well i did but i found out i can get a lot more for a cheaper price with dell.. even thoe alienware looks a lot better i dont want to spend a quadrillion dollars for it... Lol.. way over exagerated.. i dont wanna go past 1600

Even if the whole world is screaming buy dell, dont. The amount you want to spend on a Dell spend it on an Alienware and you should be fine.

The specs on that system are indeed quite good and will most definately be a decent and powerful PC... but I have to agree with IBN that I'd strongly urge against buying a Dell.

Dell's are basically disposable computers. If you were looking for a disposable computer, I'd say- yeah, get a Dell. But the model you have chosen isn't a disposably priced unit ($1500). Their $299-$399 systems are great for Grandma to surf the net and get her emails, then throw away in 1-2 years...

What you are paying a premium for today will basically be locked-in for the years that follow. Dell parts are usually not standard or expandable, have the barebones minimum with no overhead for wear/tear (i.e. example- poor power supplies and usually cannot be replaced except for pricey Dell models of the same garbage), etc.etc. Come a year from now, you'll be paying the price. You'll be paying the price today once you see how the system performs compared to systems with the same specs/cost as well.

Alienware and Falcon Northwest don't build bulk, disposable PC's. They use industry standard and highest quality parts.. that are interchangeable, upgradeable and durable. Instead of wimpy, crummy, no-name 250W power supplies.. they usually pack a solid, name-brand, 400-500W power supplies.. high speed motherboards with good chipsets and future BIOS support, faster harddrives and performance/experienced windows + drivers install. Driver support and future support will be tons easier.. and if you decide to upgrade a year or two down the road, you can do so for low budget.. rather than having to throw the whole PC away and start over again.

thanks a lot u guys helped a lot but i still want to hear other ppls feedbacks so write on ppl... btw im going to have a whole new thread on an alienware computer lol... u convinced me... reply for that one too plzzz.

Personally I would say build your own. it is not hard to do and very rewarding. if you arent willing to build your own, then buy a Dell. they are still the best of the prebuilt retail computers. I dont know where some folks get their info that Dell PSU are no good. Dell's PSU's are built by Fortron the same folks who build PSU's for PC Power&Cooling. and are, and always have been quality PSU's. there were only two things wrong with Dell's PSU's in the eyes of enthusiasts. first until a few years ago dell used proprietary connections for the PSU and motherboard which prevented the use of off the shelf PSU's as replacements. ( this iis no longer the case dell has been using standard connections for the past couple of years.) second that Dell only used "just enough" PSU to run the system. and most enthusiasts prefer beefier PSU's.

And of course if you subscribe to the notion that Dell computers are no good then Alienware computers have just become garbage since Dell now owns them. ROFL

Ahhhh Im Confused.. Take A Look At The Area 51 Thread I Put Up And Plz Tell Me Which Might Be A Better Deal... Plz And Thank Uuu..lol

Indeed Alienware has been bought by Dell. Look even Dell is buying Alienware! You should buy an Alienware too!

Well, i wouldnt buy anything that Dell is involved in.
I agree with both sharkfood and iss, sharkfood for pointing out the disposable issue. If you are only spending $400 then fine, you could even go for a Dell. And even though i dont like Dell myself iss has pointed out that even Dell is moving away from proprietary mobos and power supplies, but i just wouldnt trust them on a $1500 pc purchase. There are so many other pc vendors out there. Notice i dont call them pc mfgrs as they arent mfgrs, Dell and Alienware and all the rest of them are only vendor, they dont manufacture anything, they just put parts together and put their name on the case sorta thing. They actually put their name behind the whole pc. When the name is good thats fine but when its bad, well....
But if you are spending $1,500 i suggest you either build your own with our help, which is not hard to do at all, or buy from anyone but Dell or Alienware. The reason i say that is in the $1,500 that would leave Dell out, they are only good for the $300 to $400 units already described. And anything that Alienware has you can put together yourself for less and you can buy under another name for less.
So build your own or go for a company with a good name, there are many many good pc vendors out there. Its hard for me to come up with names as i dont buy them i build them, but there are lots of decent vendors out there.
Go to pcmag and\or pcworld and see their lists of pc vendors. They do comparisons every month and if you check thru a few months worth of reports you will come up with a few pc vendors. There are names like polywell, micro-express, sys technology, etc. All these vendors have to work harder to sell systems as they dont have the brand name that Dell, Compaq, HP, for instance, have. But i wouldnt touch a Dell, Compaq, HP or Acer. Acer now are riveting the backs of the cases so you cant get one of the side panels off unless you want to drill out the rivet!! Yes, you can live with this as is, but i sure wouldnt!!
Still, i suggest you build your own. You can get a better retail mobo instead of a stripped down mobo, you can buy a seagate hard drive with a 5 yr warranty instead of a maxtor with a 1 yr warranty, and i could go on and on.
Better to build your own or even get all the parts yourself and a pc shop near you will put it together for you for $100 or less!! Now there is a real good option not mentioned yet!! Might be best for you if you dont wanna try and do it yourself.
One more piece of hopefully usefull advice. If relying on a friend to build one for you, make darn sure hes not just full of hot air. Ask him or her to name people that you can check with to see if they are happy with the pc he or she built for them. If they cant do that, keep them for a friend but get someone else to build your pc! And like i said, if you have to, you can get a pc shop to build one for you, we can help you out with getting all the parts!
One last bit of advice. Most people spend way more on the pc itself than they need or should and then dont have any left over for goodies like digital cameras and other fun, neat stuff!! In my opinion all you need is a high end pentium 3 to go on the net, do word processing, email, forums like this, and so on. For instance, even onboard video is fine for all pcs except gaming.
Someone will shoot me down for this but i stand firm. Now you cant go out and buy a P3 pc, but its the point i am making that is valid. You DONT have to go out and spend $1,500 thats for sure. And leave some bucks left over for that digital camera or mp3 player and the other goodies that will enhance your pc experience!! And dont forget that you will want a decent printer or maybe an all in one printer\scanner\copier as there are some decent all in ones out there. And dont forget that cool software you might want, cant just talk about a pc, there are these other costs too.
I know i am gonna get hammered for some of the stuff i said, so just consider this is just my opinion, take it for what you think its worth. However, i do stand beside what i said, its my belief.

Well, i just read what IBN posted about this thread:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=294072#post294072

If there werent so many people who bought these pcs and then found out the hard way, i would say its funny, but its not funny to see people screw themselves.
I didnt know this was here but i can tell you i have read the same kind of stuff in other fora (forums).
Best to just say no to Dell. And tigerdirect.com as well, but thats another story, lol.

Just for the record I am not advocating buying a Dell. I am merely pointing out that Dell is as good as any and better than most vendors. I have only bought one prebuilt computer and that was my first one. and that was a Dell. and seven years later it is still running strong. I have had several systems after the Dell and built them all myself, which I have found to be very rewarding. I get exactly what I want and not what some vendor wants to give me. and I have upgradability. it cost a little more to build your own but it is well worth it.

I have personally bought multiple dell laptops and pc's. Not for myself but for wife and family who are not knowledgeable as most reading this post, due to getting sweet deals through the EPP discount. I build my own due to knowing I can get more bang for my buck. Anyway, they have been excellent PC's and Laptops, I've had a Dell tech come out and replace a keyboard on my wifes laptop very next day. The tech, independent contracted by dell, said he works on systems by all major pre-builders, Dell, Sony, and others and said by far Dell uses the best components and is hassle free when it comes to issues. I personally did get the Complete Care program for all the PC's knowing how my wife is, she just dropped it and its being fixed at no additional fee to me. Dell from the past 5 years has had great customer service and all systems I've have had have been excellent.

In all reality even self build systems can be known as throw away with all these new technologies coming out. I bought 5600, few weeks later 6800 came out, then was going to buy 6800GT and then 7800GT came out month later. Unless you are on it and know which technologies will stay out there such as socket A and 939 after a couple years you are looking to upgrade most if not all of you system. The benefit of building your own is that by spending 500 every 6months to a year you practically will have a new system. If want peace of mind system go with Dell, if you love knowing exactly what your system is capable of in the sense of upgrading I would go with building your own. I have looked at alienware, and most of us dont have that kind of money.

My current system:
AMD64 3700 939, 1GB Kinston 3200, MSI 7800GT, Antec Lanboy Tower, Antec True Power 550, WD 36GB 10K Raptor, MSI Diamond Plus, Sony DVD- RW Dual Layer, Sony 48x CDRW and other good stuff I cant remember right now.

Just my opinion... PM me if you have any additional questions about Dell.

wow u guys helped a lot thank u everyone.... BTW i never liked alienware because i just thought it was too damn expensive...as much as i really want to make my own pc i dont have the experience to.. i mean i dont kno much about computers, so is there any suggestions for a website where i might be able to get an ok gaming pc for an ook price???

You said the quote from Dell was $1,570. If you are going to spend that much on a system then buy Alienware. You dont want to spend that kind of money and not be able to upgrade and have propritery parts. Alienware have alot of support packages also if you run into trouble too.

Besides if you dont know that much about computers then just buy a cheap one with a good graphics card. I have a 4 year old system and i plugged in a 6600 graphics card and i can run BF2 on max settings.

If you just want a computer to do basic tasks then theres no need in spending that sort of money. Since your posting on techspot you are eventually going to want to tweak about with your computer.

With laptops its highly advisable to buy off these big companies because laptops are very problematic. The problems they have are diffrent to desktop pcs and you need to be a laptop technician in order to solve them.

Putting a computer together is the easy part. anyone who can follow instructions can do it. the hard part is if something doesnt work right. that is where experience and troubleshooting skills are needed. The experience of building your own not only gives you alot of satisfaction it teaches you alot about your system and you gain knowledge and skills overcoming any problems you may encounter.

Well said, iss. Yes, building your own pc not only gives you knowledge but builds confidence as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back