You can already buy TeamGroup's DDR5 memory kits on Amazon and Newegg

jsilva

Forward-looking: TeamGroup has kept its promise of releasing DDR5 memory by the end of June. Now available on Amazon and Newegg, both listings put the 2x16GB DDR5 memory kit clocked at 4800MHz just north of $310, making it the first DDR5 memory kit available on the market.

As spotted by leaker @momomo_us, Amazon has listed the first commercially available DDR5 memory kit. This DDR5 memory kit, which is also available in Newegg, features 2x 16GB DDR5 memory modules without a heatsink, suggesting that this an entry-level kit.

When TeamGroup announced it would release DDR5 memory modules by the end of June, the company claimed the MSRP would be $400. However, according to both listings, it's considerably cheaper, priced at $310.99.

The modules come clocked at 4800MHz with CL40-40-40-77 timings, but given that they come at 1.1V, it should be possible to increase operating frequencies and reduce timings manually. If you're wondering how DDR5-4800 memory modules perform, you can take a look at these benchmark results collected by Shenzhen Longsys Electronics.

For now, TeamGroup has only released DDR5-4800 memory, but some manufacturers have already announced they intend to release modules clocked at over 10,000MHz.

Now that DDR5 memory is available for purchase, we are left waiting for the processors and motherboards compatible with it. Those will release later this year when Intel launches 600-series motherboards alongside 12th-gen Core Alder Lake processors.

At the time of writing, the TeamGroup Elite DDR5 32GB memory kit isn't in stock, but Amazon allows you to pre-order it. The kits should be shipped in late July.

Permalink to story.

I find all the latest information about upcoming product hard to believe...

It is said almost everywhere that Intel is rolling out its first DDR5-supporting products (+PCIe-5) in Q3 2021, which is almost here. At the same time, AMD is said to roll out Zen-4 in late 2022. This kind of puts AMD far behind, about 1 year, and will cost them a significant market share.

If these rumors materialize, I'm gonna end up buying a new Intel system this year. Waiting for the public announcement of Intel Alder Lake.

As for this TeamGroup's DDR5, it loos and sounds like PR scam. Not only nobody needs it at this point, but listing it major retailers, marked as unavailable, is in itself a BS.

Last edited:

It is said almost everywhere that Intel is rolling out its first DDR5-supporting products (+PCIe-5) in Q3 2021, which is almost here. At the same time, AMD is said to roll out Zen-4 in late 2022. This kind of puts AMD far behind, about 1 year, and will cost them a significant market share.

If these rumors materialize, I'm gonna end up buying a new Intel system this year. Waiting for the public announcement of Intel Alder Lake.

I can't see Intel stealing much market share from the average pc enthusiast. Maybe the Elite enthusiast who has more money to burn than sense as DDR5 is gonna be expensive these kits will cost £250+ on top of a new motherboard and CPU. That's a big expensive ask that I think most folk won't bother with until cheaper motherboards and DDR5 kits come down in price, by that point AMD will have launched Zen4 and the new socket which will hopefully support 3-4 generations of Ryzen CPU's.

As for this TeamGroup's DDR5, it loos and sounds like PR scam. Not only nobody needs it at this point, but listing it major retailers, marked as unavailable, is in itself a BS.
Why would you by a system when a new type of memory comes out? give it one year and the price/perf and absolute performance will blow launch memory out of the water.

As for alder lake, look we know that 10nm superfin cant clock as high as 14nm. Thats been an issue for years. Alderlake, even if it manages tiger lake IPC, likely wont be noticeable faster then rocket lake, best case scenario it matches ryzen 5000. AMD may be keeping zen3+ in the wings just in case to counter alder lake if needed until zen 4 is ready.

Not to mention we've seen many leaks for alderlake, and all the claims have been for 8+8 core designs. We haven seen rumors of higher core parts, and if alder lake launches with only 8 high performance cores it wont be much of a challenge to ryzen 5000 on desktop.

I have to pass, thank you. For this price I can get more DD4 memory for my rig. In the end, despite the impressive benchmarks, practically nobody will notice the difference. Maybe in 2 years I will buy DDR5 for my rig, at more affordable prices.

I wanna go ddr5 plus the latest Intel cpu.
But it wont be until I can find a video card with these for a reasonable price.
At least so many apps and games are well optimized even for fairly old hardware.
It is not a bad time to live in as a PC enthusiast.

While DDR5 memory isn't much use without processors and motherboards that can work with it... it's also true that processors and motherboards that require it wouldn't be of much use if it wasn't available. So something had to be available first.

Until third party benchmarks come out I wouldn't plan on doing any upgrades. After upgrading nearly every year for the past four years I just don't notice a significant difference since I'm upgrading so often. My 9900K and 5950X systems are way more powerful than I really need. Intel will have to be 50% better than my 9900K on a 21:9 display for me to consider an upgrade.

Why would you by a system when a new type of memory comes out? give it one year and the price/perf and absolute performance will blow launch memory out of the water.

As for alder lake, look we know that 10nm superfin cant clock as high as 14nm. Thats been an issue for years. Alderlake, even if it manages tiger lake IPC, likely wont be noticeable faster then rocket lake, best case scenario it matches ryzen 5000. AMD may be keeping zen3+ in the wings just in case to counter alder lake if needed until zen 4 is ready.

Not to mention we've seen many leaks for alderlake, and all the claims have been for 8+8 core designs. We haven seen rumors of higher core parts, and if alder lake launches with only 8 high performance cores it wont be much of a challenge to ryzen 5000 on desktop.

10nm SuperFin (10SF) hasn't been out for years. The first 10SF CPUs were released in Sept 2020 for thin and light laptops designed for low power CPUs (under 29w) which aren't designed to clock high. In the H variants below 65 Watt they clock between 4.8ghz to 5Ghz on up to 2 cores. None of these 10SF parts are desktop parts. Currently all 10SF CPUs are mobile parts.

How can you form your opinion on an unreleased and unannounced product based on rumours? The 8+8 architecture makes sense on mobile platforms, but doesn't on desktop platforms unless there is an efficiency mandate that needs to be met which the 12VO standards may be trying to address. I don't form opinions about CPUs or GPUs until I've seen third party benchmark performance tests on the applications I use. Choosing your next CPU upgrade based on rumour and speculation doesn't make any sense.

I can't see Intel stealing much market share from the average pc enthusiast. Maybe the Elite enthusiast who has more money to burn than sense as DDR5 is gonna be expensive these kits will cost £250+ on top of a new motherboard and CPU. That's a big expensive ask that I think most folk won't bother with until cheaper motherboards and DDR5 kits come down in price, by that point AMD will have launched Zen4 and the new socket which will hopefully support 3-4 generations of Ryzen CPU's.
32GB DDR4 Kits cost between $150 and $200 so this rumour is only $100-$150 more. How is the supposed price hike for DDR5 only a price the "Elite enthusiast" can pay? $150 isn't a significant increase assuming the price of a new DDR5 motherboard, CPU and RAM at launch is around $1300.

"more money to burn than sense" what enthusiasts what to spend their money on shouldn't be drawing any ire. It's their money, right? The amount of money someone has does not diminish their ability to perceive anything. If they spent it on a holiday, charity, education or on a new computer what does it matter to you?

" I think most folk won't bother with until cheaper motherboards and DDR5 kits come down in price" I don't see how the cost of RAM will significantly change the way people buy computer parts and without objective data how can you assume what most folks do? The only thing you can know for certain is what you will do. People still built computers when 16GB of RAM cost $200 and people still buy graphics cards for twice what they should sell for. Without a massive survey of what people actually bought in the past I'm not about to assume what most or anyone will or won't buy.

"...the new socket which will hopefully support 3-4 generations of Ryzen CPU's."
The physical socket is irrelevant. Intel was on 1151 and AMD on AM4 for a long time, but not every motherboard supported every CPU on that same physical socket. It's the chipset that supports specific CPUs. Where is the savings in buying a new CPU only to replace it in two years?

Back