You can help make this Lego 3Dfx Voodoo 3D graphics card a reality

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! If like me, you’re on the wrong side of 40, you’ll probably have fond memories of the 3Dfx Voodoo 3D graphics card, which was the must-have PC component back in 1996. In the unlikely event you’ve ever longed for a Lego version of this famous product, now’s your chance to make it happen.

The design has been submitted to the Lego Ideas website, in which fans share creations for new Lego products. If enough people vote for an idea, the company will consider turning it into a real Lego set.

The Voodoo card comes from Bhaal_Spawn, who describes herself as "the weirdo who brought you the LEGO Sound Blaster..." She’s also made a Lego Gravis Ultrasound, and plans on making more, given that most people are now in lockdown. "I have a feeling I might do some more pieces," she told PC Gamer, "what with all the home time I have on my hands suddenly!"

The Voodoo 3D graphics card, which came with 4MB of memory and a 50MHz clock speed, and its Voodoo2 successor, were two of the most sought-after cards from the mid-to-late nineties. The company behind them, 3Dfx Interactive, was acquired by Nvidia at the end of 2000.

If you would like a Lego version of this classic card sitting in your display cabinet, go here to vote for it. With 622 supporters at the time of writing, there’s a long way to go before reaching the required 10,000 mark for it to be considered, but there are still 417 days left to go.

Permalink to story.

My first PC was an HP Pavilion 8570c with a Pentium 3 450MHz, 96MB RAM, intel graphics and a 20GB HDD.

It was OK to run Quake 2 in Open GL, Half Life, Command and Conquer, and a few other games.

I upgraded to a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (and 128MB of SDRAM) because at the time I couldn't afford the Voodoo 3 3500 TV.

Really great card and I got a lot of play out of it.

Brings back some good memories. I had the Monster 3D, Monster II, Banshee, and a couple Voodoo 3000's. I miss ya 3dfx...

I think the 3dfx was probably one of the single best leaps in performance to a gaming PC of its time. It also birthed SLI, which Nvidia inherited from 3dfx, and obviously still uses to this day!
I started with the Monster 3d, then went big for voodoo2: The Quantum Obsidian 2 X-24 (SLI'd voodoo2's on one board with a daughter card). Also had a 3500TV and a 5500.

If memory serves me properly, Quake II in Glide was pretty much the most jaw dropping thing I'd ever seen computer graphics wise at the time, A GIANT leap in FPS graphics!

For me it was Unreal with a Voodoo3 2000.

On a Mac.

3dfx made "beta" Mac drivers which worked great and when those came out it was instantly also the fastest 2D Gfx card for the Mac, and among the cheapest. Easy buy and also enabled 3D fragfest. What's not to like?

Well I have a Voodoo2 and Voodoo 5 5500 both in active service in an AMD K6-2 and a Northwood Pentium 4 system respectively. I have a strong affinity with these old 3dfx video cards, so I'd probably pick up a Lego version of one in a heartbeat!

For me, it was Canopus Pure 3D, with 4MB of VRAM and 2 MB of buffer RAM. Paired it with Asus card which handles 2D job. When buying 3D games, I must check whether it supports 3Dfx or not. Look for the 3Dfx logo on the cover. Voodoo graphics only supports max resolution of 640x480. I skip Voodoo 2, and jumped to Voodoo 3 2000. Then I switch to TNT2 Ultra.

That's a joke and a silly one. The kind of thing that you give to that geeky friend on their anniversary and ends up in some dark place. Some plastic grams more in the environment for no reason at all. If you like this kind of subject, why not to make a IBM PC or a 70s mainframe?

Doesn't get much geekier than that - a retro Lego video card.

But I'd buy it... ;)

I disagree.. Imagine an entire hardware set that fits together to make a 90's version desktop (mouse, keyboard and Monitor included) - Lego Dell Desktop !

My first PC was an XT 8088. I came across the 3D graphics trail but, I was not able to purchase the legendary 3Dfx voodoo card when it was released and the following years it reigned supreme across it's generations, since I was busy at college overseas at that time. I only drooled about what these cards did to the PC scene. Fast forward 20 years later, I got everything I wanted after working.

Still rocking a Voodoo 2 SLI in my PII 400Mhz Win95/DOS machine.

As for Lego, never understood what's all the fuss about, and was never interested in any of it's iterations. Guess, it's not my thing. Besides, I have the real spare Voodoo1 and Voodoo 2 cards with me, anyway.

Quantum Obsidian 2 X24 was a cool name! Made it sound supercomputer-ish. It was pretty far out for its time! 2 voodoo 2's in SLI with only one connector to motherboard (possible by having one of the v2's connected to the other one by daughter card connector).

My first actual PC was a Commodore 64. My first x86 based PC was a Compaq, with a Pentium 100 Mhz CPU, 8 MB of RAM and 1 GB Hard Drive. Not even sure if it had a GPU as I was only 10 years old at the time, and not yet into PC gaming. When I was like 12/13, my mother's boss got me a Blueberry iMac G3 450 Mhz, with 64 Mb of RAM, 20 Gb Hard Drive and an integrated ATI Rage 128 Pro (AGP 2X) graphics with 8 MB of VRAM. I added 128 Mb of RAM, swapped the hard drive out for an 80 Gb one. This was my step into the wonderful world of PC gaming. Even though it was a Mac, a lot of titles were ported and available. StarCraft was supported out-of-the-box on Macs as well, so was the Diablo series. Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and Deus Ex got Mac ports. Those were some good times. Things were much less complicated.

Back