YouTube, ABC News partner to stream US presidential debates live

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube has announced plans to stream all three US presidential debates between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney live. The video sharing service will also stream the vice presidential debate live from their Elections Hub – part of the politics channel that debuted a year ago.

Each of the four debates will be available to viewers anywhere in the world, marking the first time that all of the debates will be aired on a single platform.

ABC News is responsible for providing the live stream while YouTube partners like Al Jazeera English, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal will supply commentary and analysis after each debate. The debates will also be archived for later viewing should you happen to miss the live event.

PBS NewsHour Executive Editor Jim Lehrer will host the first presidential debate tomorrow at 9 p.m. ET from the University of Denver in Denver, Colorado. The single vice presidential debate will take place on Thursday, October 11 at Central College in Danville, Kentucky.

The second debate between Obama and Romney will be in the form of a town hall meeting at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York on October 16. The setting will allow voters to directly ask the candidates questions regarding foreign and domestic affairs. The final debate will take place on October 22 from Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida.

Voters head to the polls on November 6 to decide who will run the United States for the next four years.

Permalink to story.

Something tells me that either Mr. Obama has supreme confidence in beating his opponent, or this broadcast will be a fix, carefully dressed up as a real debate.

Otherwise it is doubtful such broadcast would be sanctioned.

Open debates tend to become hysterical sometimes, and USA wouldn't want that out before the entire world. That's why I'm skeptical in it being genuine.

Something tells me that either Mr. Obama has supreme confidence in beating his opponent, or this broadcast will be a fix, carefully dressed up as a real debate.

Otherwise it is doubtful such broadcast would be sanctioned.

Open debates tend to become hysterical sometimes, and USA wouldn't want that out before the entire world. That's why I'm skeptical in it being genuine.

That is assuming it has to be sanctioned at all. Nobody can tell YouTube they can't do it. Like it or not, its a free country.

That is assuming it has to be sanctioned at all. Nobody can tell YouTube they can't do it. Like it or not, its a free country.

Not till the government has something to say about it. Google won't put out anything against the White House will.

When it comes to the high politics, democracy is what the government tells you it is :)

''Two shits still equal to a ****''

Anyway, Romney and ***** and Obama a lesser *****.

Not till the government has something to say about it. Google won't put out anything against the White House will.

When it comes to the high politics, democracy is what the government tells you it is :)

Nahh, its a fun conspiracy theory, but it'd be a disaster in real life. Besides how easily someone could say that big companies run the nation more than the government, the fallout for intimidating a company into not broadcasting something that they have every right to would be horrific. And to take that much risk for something that gets broadcasted anyways? Doesn't make sense

You look at it from the wrong angle, in terms of hostility, while in reality government and blue chips deal in favors. Call it conspiracy, if you like, but it's just inevitable, both sides are too big not to respect each other's interests.

In case of disagreements taking place, corporations simply spread overseas, naming it globalization and diversification.

Aww, I always find it so cute when people think they know something about politics :)

Please, dont let me stop you, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory. Im sure Obama will fix the debate. so, please, pass me what your smoking

To be calling a common sense in political arena a conspiracy theory one needs to be missing in one of those or both ;) So it's ok, you can keep on smoking...

Break out the tea bags and aluminum foil, Obama's gonna be on youtube...

Break out the tea bags and aluminum foil, Obama's gonna be on youtube...

I'm saving popcorn :)

Funny that if Obama asks his minions, like - so what did people post in response to the video? It will be trolled like hell :)

I'm taking my words back about the things I suspected about the debate. After watching it I know the truth now. One of the debate participants is a muppet. I will not point out out who, to avoid political repercussions.

One sympathizes.

Back