YouTube is doing away with its most annoying ad spot

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Online advertising is always evolving and adapting to the latest publishing trends which, as of late, happens to be video. It’s no surprise, then, that one of the biggest online video players is making a significant change to perhaps its most despised ad type – the unskippable 30-second spot.

In a statement sent to several news outlets, a YouTube spokesperson notes that they are committed to providing a better ad experience for online users. As part of that, the spokesperson said, they’ve decided to stop supporting 30-second unskippable ads as of 2018 and instead focus on formats that work better for both users and advertisers.

Phil Smith, director general of ISBA, tells Campaign that the industry needs to improve the user experience of online advertising and this is one step in the right direction. The move is based on consumer reaction, Smith said, who also applauds YouTube’s tactic of announcing it with enough notice to give advertisers and agencies time to adjust their plans.

Callum McCahon, strategy director for Born Social, tells the publication that he is reading the move as a signal that YouTube is very worried about Facebook. Video is right at the very core of Facebook’s roadmap, he said, adding that their offering is becoming even more attractive to brands by the day. This, he concludes, has YouTube panicking.

That said, other ads, like the 20-second spots, can also be made unskippable although it is believed that YouTube intends to more heavily push the six-second unskippable bumper ad format it introduced last year moving forward.

Permalink to story.

In a statement sent to several news outlets, a YouTube spokesperson notes that they are committed to providing a better ad experience for online users. As part of that, the spokesperson said, they’ve decided to stop supporting 30-second unskippable ads as of 2018 and instead focus on formats that work better for both users and advertisers.
They're not stopping until 2018? That commitment seems lukewarm at best.

"Better Ad Experience" ..... sounds sort of like to promote hemorrhoids ...and is exactly why I have abandoned YouTube .... now it's all about the ads and content is just happenstance ......

Going on youtube without ad block is the most frustrating experience. Forcing me to watch a 30 second truck ad for a minute long video makes me not want to watch the video at all. I mute the volume and look away from the ad, take that advertisers!

YouTube has unskippable ads? Gee, tough for those who have to bear them. Luckily I haven't seen or noticed any and I'm a regular YouTube watcher.

The "Poop-pourri" ads are generally way more entertaining than the video which follows them!

Here, I'll show you:

@Steve Er, what's an "ad blocker"? ;)

The 30 unskippable pre-rolls don't bother me anywhere near as much as the mid-roll ads. Especially on videos where there's a couple of them. I understand the importance of ad revenue to these channels, but multiple mid-roll ads are just obnoxious.

As ads are the necessary evil which they are, why can't the producers make them attractive and interesting. In cases where ads are 'forced into ones face', especially in the few TV shows which I choose to watch I turn off the sound and fill in a crossword puzzle, a suduko, find-a-word or other mind puzzle rather than being subjected to 'monotonous graffiti' in motion.

Seeing some of the comments makes me wonder: In the age of entitlement, how dare they make us watch any ads so they can have some revenue. What do they think this is - an actual businesses? They are scum for providing a service (spending billions) and expecting some form of revenue in return.

Last edited:
Back