YouTube is rolling out big vertical ads to mobile users

Greg S

Bottom line: Vertical ads are an obvious feature that YouTube was missing until now. Advertisers already use vertical ads on other platforms. YouTube finally pushed out the update to keep pace with trends.

Advertisers have been taking full advantage of increasingly larger mobile displays for bigger ads. Apps such as Instagram and Snapchat have made vertical content extremely popular and no longer the hallmark of poorly shot YouTube videos.

Google added support for vertical videos with a dynamic adaptation feature last year. Utilizing the scaling feature, videos of any size will fill up as much of a display as possible with minimal boxing and cropping. Now, advertisers are officially allowed to start publishing vertical promotional material to be displayed on YouTube channels.

For now, only TrueView and Universal App campaigns can show square and vertical ads. Taking up 75 percent of a mobile display by default offers a much larger canvas than ever before. Fortunately, these types of ads are typically able to be skipped after five seconds. Although a great improvement for advertisers, end users should not be bothered by the changes.

Advertisers are able to upload both vertical and horizontal compilations of the same marketing campaign. As Google works to refine the the feature, it may eventually be possible to rotate a mobile device mid-stream and keep a seamless experience.

According to Google's latest statistics, over 70 percent of YouTube watch time is accumulated from mobile devices including smartphones and tablets.

Hyundai was the first major advertiser to put vertical video to the test. Following a trial run focusing on a new SUV model, there was found to be a 33 percent increase in brand awareness and approximately a 12 percent increase in purchase consideration.

Permalink to story.

Good that I do not watch videos on a small phone screen and use the now "niche" PC 4k screen... people are just...for using phones to watch, and they deserve those ads.

I use Google Play Music for the sole reason that it removes all ads from YouTube. While this situation is shitty...I mean, I don't have ads on YouTube.

This was my first thought. I also pay for Google Play Music, Youtube Red, Youtube Music or whatever the flying f*ck they're calling it this month. The greatest gain is that I don't see ads. It's an entirely better youtube experience without ads.

Will we be forced to see these ads even with this paid subscription? If so, my subscription to google youtube balls will have to be re-evaluated.

I use Google Play Music for the sole reason that it removes all ads from YouTube. While this situation is shitty...I mean, I don't have ads on YouTube.

This was my first thought. I also pay for Google Play Music, Youtube Red, Youtube Music or whatever the flying f*ck they're calling it this month. The greatest gain is that I don't see ads. It's an entirely better youtube experience without ads.

Will we be forced to see these ads even with this paid subscription? If so, my subscription to google youtube balls will have to be re-evaluated.

Yes, I use Facebook mainly because I run a couple hobbies that I have to due to so many people wanting things to be discussed on the platform for the various projects I am involved in. I am trying to steadily move them over to Discord, but that takes a lot of time it seems without losing a lot of members. That being said, I would pay for a FB premium service of say $5-10 a month to be ad free on it because the ads are SO EFFING pervasive.

I do subscribe to YouTube Premium....been doing so since its inception because it drives me bat poop crazy when I am watching a video and randomly the ads cut into the content. It is very disjointing. There isn't even a fade or transition which to me just shows the laziness of YouTube in their programming department. I could care less how many petabytes of video content is uploaded each day. Coding in transitions would make a BIG difference for the free members, but maybe that is part of YT's schtick....make it as annoying as possible to attempt to force people into going premium...who knows.

......….There are plenty of scenarios for consuming content on a mobile phone; in a vehicle during a work commute, on a train or subway, laying in bed before hitting the hay, heck even on the porcelain throne. The last one btw is a great place to use your Nintendo Switch to pass the time whilst you pass other things.

I very RARELY consume YouTube content on my PC and I am running triple monitors. Why waste one of those precious screens for that type of thing when I can either 1) play it on my mobile in a stand on the desk or 2) watch it on my 50" hanging on my office wall.
I have a mobile phone, I don't 'consume content' on it because the screen is so freakin' tiny and the sound so shItty. You have a 50" display and you would watch something on a mobile phone? WTF?
Also whilst on the porcelain throne, the only device I want to be reaching for is the toilet paper roll. Remind me never to borrow your phone

Just say NO to toilet texting (phone calls and all that other stuff).

Back