YouTube Originals will be free to watch starting next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Like other streaming offerings, paying affords a certain level of convenience but isn't entirely necessary if you're willing to sit through some ads and deal with a few other restrictions.

The countdown to (mostly) unfettered access to YouTube Originals is on.

YouTube late last year announced that by 2020, its original content would be available to all users, not just those willing to pay a monthly subscription fee. The change in strategy is designed to make its programming available to a wider audience and is happening sooner than anticipated.

From September 24, 2019, YouTube Originals will be available to all but there are still plenty of reasons to keep your YouTube Premium membership.

Paying members will have access to ad-free viewing of YouTube Originals where free users will be subjected to an ad-supported offering. Furthermore, they’ll have access to every episode of a series right when it premieres; only select episodes of a show may be available for streaming for free at any given time, essentially dragging on the concept of appointment viewing.

YouTube Premium subscribers will also be able to download YouTube Originals for offline viewing and have access to bonus content like director’s cuts and extra scenes.

YouTube Premium commands $11.99 per month ($6.99 for eligible students / $17.99 for a family plan) and isn’t bound by contracts or other restrictions. It also includes access to YouTube Music Premium and Google Play Music at no extra cost.

Permalink to story.

As others have already pointed out, why are we supposed to care? Youtube originals are mostly hot garbage anyway.

The only reason why I subscribed to Youtube Premium was Non-Original content (getting rid of ads) plus Youtube Music/Google Music. Originals, apart from Cobra Kai, have been pretty meh. Origin was the only other show that has proper budget but 2nd season was pulled, plus the story is kind of mixed bag.

Personally, I take this as an indicator that things are not going as well as gagme/u-tub would have liked and that they are struggling for relevance in an already crowded streaming market.

I would not be surprised if jumping on this fad is not working as well as they would have liked.

sarcasm I feel sorry for them! /sarcasm

Personally, I take this as an indicator that things are not going as well as gagme/u-tub would have liked and that they are struggling for relevance in an already crowded streaming market.

I would not be surprised if jumping on this fad is not working as well as they would have liked.

sarcasm I feel sorry for them! /sarcasm

CBS did the same thing going all in with star trek discovery, but the expanse and the orville are both better shows imo.

We know Disney's going to make it, but I think plenty of the others are just going to slowly (or quickly) bleed out.

Back