YouTube TV adds AMC, BBC America and more to core package

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube’s $35-per-month streaming television service is getting an expansion. The Google-owned service on Monday added nearly half a dozen new channels to its base package including fan-favorites like AMC and BBC America.

The cord-cutter alternative, which competes with other live television streaming services like DirecTV Now, Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, has also added Sundance TV, WE TV and IFC to its line-up. They join Spanish-language channels Telemundo and Universo which appear to have been added a couple of weeks ago.

The new additions bring the total number of channels in the base package to 46. This is in addition to originals offered through YouTube Red, the $10-per-month ad-eliminating subscription service. There’s also the option to add Showtime for $11 extra each month and Fox Soccer Plus for a $15 monthly fee.

YouTube TV launched initially in just five markets – Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York City and the San Francisco Bay Area. As of writing, YouTube has yet to expand the service to new markets although we’re told that it’ll be coming to additional areas in the near future.

At $35, YouTube TV is roughly in line with the competition. Hulu quietly launched its streaming TV service a couple of weeks ago, commanding $39.95 per month for a package of more than 50 channels. Sling TV starts at just $20 each month for a base package of around 30 channels while DirecTV Now affords 60+ channels for $35 monthly. PlayStation Vue, meanwhile, starts at $29.99 per month for just shy of 50 channels.

Permalink to story.

They are getting better, but they need to find a way to add the major networks as well as local channels in each market. Still, the ultimate is going to need to be an "ala cart" system with plenty of selections that can be customized for each viewer. While it's not easy, the technology will easily support it and the company that gets there first is going to be the BIG WINNER across the board.

They are getting better, but they need to find a way to add the major networks as well as local channels in each market. Still, the ultimate is going to need to be an "ala cart" system with plenty of selections that can be customized for each viewer. While it's not easy, the technology will easily support it and the company that gets there first is going to be the BIG WINNER across the board.

Add: ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox...I can put up an antenna for locals.

In my area, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS and a few other stations that have syndicated content such as COMET-TV are OTA locals already. Many shows that are first run come to either Netflix or Hulu after a while, and I do not mind waiting for them.

For me, this is another non-starter. After having cut the noose to Dish three years ago when I was paying $87/mo for their service, I have more than paid for the HTPC I built, as well as two HD HomeRun tuners. Though there might be stuff on these services that I want to watch, Doctor Who, for instance, I would rather buy the Blu-rays and watch them on my HTPC for a one-shot price rather than approximately the same cost monthly as for the disc set.

And when ATSC 3.0 hits the airwaves in the next few years, my bet is that the OTA options will get much better.

Last edited:
I had used all of the OTA HDTV products over the years (Silicon Dust, Ceton, Hauppage, Tivo etc) and recently found Tablo. I feel the device is superior to the others for one reason. It uses TCP to push the stream and not UDP. (What does that mean Trent?) It means that if you are using the device remotely and you lose cell signal or get out of WiFi range the stream halts and when you get back in range it picks up right where you left off. Conversely, with UDP you would have had to rewind the video to account for the time you were disconnected. I know this sounds small, but in truth, it's pretty big. If Tivo were to switch to TCP that one thing could put them on top again. That would sure fix one of my main gripes with streaming my Tivo in my own house even.

^Bah! I hit enter before I was done. Anyway, the Tablo device would be complemented with YuoTube TV or Whatever to get all the channels AND the locals via the Tablo. I think its a strong combo.

I had used all of the OTA HDTV products over the years (Silicon Dust, Ceton, Hauppage, Tivo etc) and recently found Tablo. I feel the device is superior to the others for one reason. It uses TCP to push the stream and not UDP. (What does that mean Trent?) It means that if you are using the device remotely and you lose cell signal or get out of WiFi range the stream halts and when you get back in range it picks up right where you left off. Conversely, with UDP you would have had to rewind the video to account for the time you were disconnected. I know this sounds small, but in truth, it's pretty big. If Tivo were to switch to TCP that one thing could put them on top again. That would sure fix one of my main gripes with streaming my Tivo in my own house even.
Personally, I'm running Media Portal, and my network is hard-wired. MP is my DVR, and I could set it up so that any PC in my house runs the client, thus being able to access the recordings from any PC running the client. We, my wife and I, are very happy with the setup.

Back