Rocket League Rumble game mode to add 11 wild power-upsBy Shawn Knight
At the finale of the Rocket League Championship Series in Hollywood this weekend, developer Psyonix showcased a new game mode in the works that'll deliver nearly a dozen over-the-top power-ups which should really mix up the in-game action.
Dubbed Rocket League Rumble, the new game mode will sit alongside other recent additions including Hoops and Mutator in online playlists and private / exhibition matches. Rumble will offer the following 11 new power-ups that'll drop randomly during play:
- The Boot (Kicks an opponent's car)
- Disruptor (Forces your opponent to drive uncontrollably)
- Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
- Grappling Hook (Pulls you towards the ball)
- Haymaker (Punches the ball)
- Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
- Plunger (Grabs the ball via plunger and cord)
- Power Hitter (Allows you to hit everything harder)
- Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
- Swapper (Change positions on the field with your opponent)
- Tornado (Sweep up the ball and opposing cars into a giant funnel cloud)
Pokémon Go may be the talk of the town (or rather, the world) these days but last summer belonged to Rocket League. The physics-based soccer-with-cars sensation, which recently celebrated its one-year anniversary, seemingly came out of nowhere as the surprise hit of 2015.
This past June, Psyonix revealed that it had already sold more than five million copies of Rocket league across PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. That figure is no doubt higher today as, like Rockstar with Grand Theft Auto V, the developer is milking the IP for everything it's worth (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Look for Rocket League Rumble to launch sometime next month.