Before asking "Is this too hot?"

It seems to have done the trick my cpu temp is down to 53 degrees celcius. i've done the same with my motherboard heatsink and have seen a slight improvement also.

thanx

ok i've got another question to pose. on my intel system i have a geforce pcie 6200. i've downloaded some temperature monitoring software. and i know that my temperatures for CPU and system are fine but it shows another temperature at 126 degree celcius !!!!!!!! Is that my graphics card and if so is it ok at that temp????

On Speed Fan Temp 3 is 126 degrees Celcius and on Everest Ultimate Edition it show it to be my GPU diode and its running at 45 degrees celcius???

Whats going on?

Ok i've been on it all day long trying to figure out what the 126c is. I managed to download PC Wizard 2006 and its the Power/Aux.

My GPU, CPU and motherboard are fine. From PC 2006 Power/Aux is running at 126C. Now what i wanna know is that is that talkihg about the PSU??? is this normal???

I need some input peeps

thanx.

Alright guys i wonder if any1 can help me out i cant find out the whether my cpu is running too hot or not because i cant seem 2 find any specs on it ( or maybe im looking in wrong places) computer currently has the following

Field Value
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)

Motherboard Name QDI P4I865PE Novo (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter RADEON X800 PRO Secondary (256 MB)

Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Cuurebtly my CPU works around 50 Degrees Celcius idle and upto about 66 at full use. ALso my graphics card appears to run around 50 degrees Celcius also. Any advise would be appreciated

Dom_Jones said:
Alright guys i wonder if any1 can help me out i cant find out the whether my cpu is running too hot or not because i cant seem 2 find any specs on it ( or maybe im looking in wrong places) computer currently has the following

Field Value
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)

Motherboard Name QDI P4I865PE Novo (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter RADEON X800 PRO Secondary (256 MB)

Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Cuurebtly my CPU works around 50 Degrees Celcius idle and upto about 66 at full use. ALso my graphics card appears to run around 50 degrees Celcius also. Any advise would be appreciated

My processor is slower than yours but just for reference...

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz

Motherboard Name Asus p4p800 dlx 865PE (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

System Memory 1536MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Video Adapter AIW 9600 PRO (128MB)

Disk Drives Maxtor 6Y120SO (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-150)
Maxtor 6B300SO (300 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-150)

CPU used to idle @ ~40 and sometimes peak @ ~ 55. I picked up the Antec P180 case, which has like a million fans, and the idle dropped down to ~30 and peak @ ~46.

I'm happy about the 10 degree average drop, but I still don't like it hitting near 50. I did find that keeping the ambient temp in the room low has huge effect. When ambient is @ 21, I've seen the CPU hit as low as 24 on idle.

Your temps seem high, but again, that could be because your CPU simply runs hotter. If you haven't done so already, look into lowering ambient temp. and maybe a better case similar to what I mentioned or anything aluminum would also help.

I have a friend, his AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939, I am not sure what core but the one with SSE and SSE2 only, 2.2 GHz model. Anyways he had a cord touching the heatsink fan and the processor was cranking out about 90 degrees celcus and it was still running fine. AMD's can take heat abuse.

excellent.. i just thought that a 3 degree temperature raise would be significant seeing as ive already done some work on it lol... excellet... *taps fingertips*

may i ask... i guess this is an appropriate thread for this question... how come the difference between one point raised in my fsb from (CPU @) ~38 degrees, to almost 50... its really...really....odd

lol, i gues you could mod that project... but you'd hav eto let it cool down unless you left it on 24/7 lol

ima try that one day, still doesn't help my questino though haha

PRELUDiCON said:
Can someone tell me what are the positives/negatives of leaving the case side panel off?

I use MBM5 and had the panel off all day, when I got home I checked the highest/lowest temps.... I couldn't believe the CPU temp actually dropped as low as 24c :O !!

The case was off because I went about 'fabricating' [butchering:knock:] a CPU duct... fixed a mesh screen on there and everything... but it doesnt' seem to make much difference... maybe a degree or two.

Kinda scratched up the panel a bit too so as a 'solution', I covered it with a big piece of super-thin vinyl...wondering if the vinyl is actually thermally counter productive??? Like not letting heat dissipate through the metal as easily??

I have a P4 2.6c...my average ambient temp [case temp] is 38c ... and the CPU has reached 52c before under stress [believe that was the highest ever]...

MOBO is ASUS P4P800 Deluxe.

Any comments welcome.

:cool:

Well, I'd say that if you had enough system fans, that would be fine. I got a 3.2 dc cpu, and a radeon 1600 pro and with the ps and all the goodies i got 6 fans on my system. 2 exhaust and 3 intake. Leaving the panel off helps, but again for long periods of time can lead to dust builup, thermal compounds on your pru do help, but as a last resort id say. All in all, try case fans, organize wiring, and then maybe thermal compound (Artic Silver 5).

Cheers
-Boost-

Hi ppl,

Apologies if I am asking in the wrong place, my first time in this forum.

I have a computer question problem...my intel pentium 4, 3Ghz keeps shutting down by itself, and the temp of my cpu is about 82 degrees...btw its a presscott

Can anyone provide me with an answer please?

1. Remove fan and clean off dust.

2 Make sure thermal paste is applied to the CPU evenly and not excessivly.

3. Secure fan tightly to motherboard.

4. Post results.

Well, by the sound of it that and the other recent answers would all apply to your question.

Your CPU is not just overheating, it is cooking ... and that is not a good thing.

So to sum up what you NEED to do;

- Clean all the dust off
(might as well do everything while your at it)
- Use GOOD thermal paste on the CPU
(double check the heatsink is set right and spend the extra few dollars on a good paste)
- Clean up the wiring for GOOD airflow
(that means bundling and shunting the cables away from the MoBo and hot zones)
- Make sure enough cool air is going through the box
(More fans supplying cool air than exhausting - positive pressure is a good thing here - if need be, leave a slot cover off to dump air out the back - you want to move as much cool air as you can get away with through the box - another thing to note is that if your power supply dumps its air into the case then get that warm air away from your CPU ASAP)

Thrudd said:
- Use GOOD thermal paste on the CPU
(double check the heatsink is set right and spend the extra few dollars on a good paste)

That's all good advice... I just wanted to add to this bit that you buy Arctic Silver 5. It's pretty much the best thermal compound you can get for a reasonable price. Follow this website for all the information you'll need on AS5, as well as where to buy it and how to put it on your processor:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

As far as cooling fans go, I'd go with something from Zalman unless you want your computer to sound like a jet plane taking off. :) They make very powerful, well-built heat-sink/fans that are somewhat large in size (I hope you have good clearance in your case!), but that size difference means they're whisper-quiet. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

Anyways, good luck... I was in your shoes two years ago when I built my Prescott system, and boy is it a hot one.

Looking4answers said:
Thanx Thrudd & IBN for your help. I have managed to cool down the computer. It was a combo of a few things.

Whoops... just noticed you'd already solved the problem. Well, just in case you'll ever need Arctic Silver or a good HSF, I'd just add those links (mentioned above) in your bookmarks... :)

Anyways, congrats on cooling your Prescott, and happy computing.

Thankyou everybody

Just a thankyou to MarcFOnline for your advice. Also thankyou in advance to anybody else who later replies to this forum. This is a great place to share info. & get help!

hello..i just wonder bout my pc..the processor temperature always increase faster than i expected..i'm using Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz...so is there any solution to lower down the celcius..???

Just refer to my previous post, #90 on this thread for what I have to advise as well as #92 for some sources.

Also read the first page of posts since you can't go wrong actually reading similar questions and the followup answers.

Ok, after reading a few pages of this thread I'm confused about how my system is operating. My CPU is running at a nice a cool 31 degrees but my mobo sits at 45 idle... it gets to over 50 when I'm making it work but my CPU stays cool. What can I do to cool off my mobo?

It sounds to me like the sensors are mixed-up with whichever program reports your computer's temps. The case/mobo temp tends to change much slower than the CPU, and 31 degrees is pretty normal for a mobo. (Mine has gone between 28 and 31 since I took my PC out of standby about 7:00 this morning.)

If you do want to improve your mobo's cooling, the best way is by adding case fans. Newer cases should have a few different spots where a 90mm fan can be added (some can accept 120mm fans), and as long as you don't mind a slightly louder rig, it's not a bad idea to make use of those cooling opportunities.

CPU Exaust

I don't know why it is that almost all the threads that talk about overheating and cpu fans with their ducts say that they are exhaust fans and ducts. Every cpu fan I have ever installed rotates to blow air onto the heatsink to spread the heat collected from the cpu out into the rest of the case and hopefully through a rear exhaust fan...just using rear fan as an example. The reason for the side case ducting is to collect cooler air from outside the case to the cpu fan. Hopefully anyone who attemts to create their own ducting doesn't make it cover the fan and heatsink...the hot air wll just mix with the cool air and keep getting hotter with nowhere to go.
Next on my list is another reason for overheating. I have ten computers right now and three of them have the same motherboard...ECS PT800CE-A Revision 1.0a..junk if you ask me!
All three have all the same components as well but they all have different cpu temperatures according to the PC Health Status in the BIOS. I have switched out the CPUs, heatsinks and fans in different configurations with all three of these computers and I get the same results. The motherboards are to blame for this. The thermal detecting hardware that ECS uses can be up to 20 degrees celcius difference in different motherboards with the same model and version numbers. I talked to ECS about this and finally got them to admit the problem to the exact placement of the temperature hardware on the motherboard and also the hardware's broad tolerances. This problem affects any software applications that read temps off the motherboard. So even though your cpu could be running cool it could still show that it is overheating and could verywell shut down if it reaches the shut down protection value.
If anyone knows how to get a correct temperature value without using the values in the BIOS please let me know.
I have seen the electronic thermometers that you just point the laser and it shows the temperature but I don't know how that would work with the heatsink right over the CPU.
I thought I saw (somewhere on the internet) a heatsink that had it's own thermostat built in and relaying the information to an lcd readout on the front of the case. If anyone has seen this please let me know where I can find it again.
This is my first time replying on this site so I hope my information is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong. I definately don't want to step on anyone's shoes.
RadRob

Back