MSI GeForce 6800 GT Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

i just got an MSI nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "6800GT-TD256". i took my old video card out and put in the new one and my computer will not boot up and makes a high-pitched noise.. does anyone know what the problem is?

probably a bios issue, depends heavily on what system you have, give your system's specs please... (especially type mobo, revision if possible, bios version, agp details etc)

btw, try updating your bios first, and disable onboard integrated if that's on in the bios.

i don't know anything about updating the BIOS, not that good with computers... here's my motherboard

MSI KT4VL VIA-KT400 DDR400 WITH 10/100 LAN, USB 2.0 + 8X AGP

AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ [2.13 GHZ QuantiSpeed] 333FSB SOCKET A CPU

if you could please tell me step by step on updating BIOS it would be most appreciated

you need a working floppy & floppy drive.
download the latest bios for your mobo @ http://www.msicomputer.com/support/TechSupport.asp

you can follow the faq for updating bioses there.
also try resetting the cmos afterwards for clearing incorrect setting. (cmos jumper reset see manual.)

and lastly, your PSU does meet the specified requirements for the 6800GT and have those molex connectors connected?

Lostfaith said:
and have those molex connectors connected?

can please clarify what you mean, i'm not that good with computers.. i don't really know the parts that well

A molex connector is, in your case, a 4 pin power connector. Lostfaith is asking you if you have this cable plugged into the back of your video card. Not that this should solve your problem, but it is worth a try if you have already updated your bios.

Hint: Try searching google for unknown terms before you post about them, usually the answer is closer than you think..

Hope everyone had a good new year by the way!

this happened to me aswell. I can't remember what I did but you were supposed to un install the old video cards drivers first

that was the very first thing i did (uninstall the original drivers)
i'm pretty sure i just have to update my BIOS, but i don't know how to disable the BIOS Protection.. i have read my mobo manual backwards and fowards and searched on the web, everything just tells me i need to disable it, but nothing tells me HOW TO.. can anyone help me?

i have an MSI mobo so i can use the live update, but i still need to know how to disable the BIOS Protection

Problem...

My m8 bought one of these a week ago and had the same problem, he just chucked his RAM in a diff slot and it worked for some reason, had to do the same on my sister's pc with the FX5600 i put in there!

Make sure the molex connector is plugged in like the other guys said, if that no work update BIOS and cross your fingers!

Let us know how you get on!

:grinthumb

i just need to know how to disable the BIOS Protection and i'm sure i can do the rest because of MSI Live Update.. just have no knowledge with disabling/enabling

ey?

do you mean the BIOS protection on the g-card yea? i have never heard of this! does it just not let you flash it or what?

all i know is that when i ran the MSI Live Update for the BIOS, it says make sure to Disable the BIOS Protection before continuing.. and have no idea how to

Solution

Right the way to do it is not by using MSI live update, download the updated BIOS directly from the website and then use a FLASH utility in DOS, i cnt remember the exact procedure but look it up on google and u will find something telling you how.

Im sure ur aware of the risk's of doing this? if it does not work then u will have a knackered card and it will take a bit of ding to get it working again?

just lettin u know the risk's, dont want u doing something u regret!

Sometimes depending on the motherboard, you have to push down extreamly hard to get the card 100% of the way in. I had this problem in a senario before. The card looked all the way in, but after I pushed down really really hard I felt it go that little bit more in.

Im not encourging you to push so hard down on your card that it goes through the other side of the mobo, but be sure the front of the card where theres no brace is all the way down.

i finally updated my BIOS, but its still doing it (will not boot up and makes a high-pitched noise) i dunno what it is

ya Dead O [/b]A[/b]rrival :)

If you bought it within the last 30 or 90 days (probably 90 depending on where you bought it) you can get it "RMA"ed, which means whoever you bought it from will ask you to ship it to them and they'll send you another new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back