STOP Messages possibly due to faulty RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my ram from 2 x 128MB PC133 SD RAM to 2 x 512MB P133 SD RAM which I purchased off of eBay. I ordered one stick and everything seemed to work fine, so I ordered another. I think that the second stick is faulty and keeps causing STOP messages. Here are two minidump files. Can anyone tell me if faulty RAM is the problem?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The result of your two minidumps are inconclusive.

Since your computer seems to run ok with one stick of ram, but not with the other stick of ram. Then there is a good chance that you do indeed have a faulty ram module.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I ran the computer with each stick seperately and received stop messages each time. For some reason, when I had the first stick that I purchased in and pressed the power button, the monitor came on for a second and then turned off. The computer started to beep. I shut it off for a little bit and turned it back on. It did the same thing. So I waited longer and it finally worked, but when the desktop finally loaded, the monitor flashed every now and then. This has never happened before.

Some of the stop message errors that I've received are:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x0000001A
0x0000008E
0x00000050

Some of the file names are:

sr.sys
Ntfs.sys
ks.sys
nv4_disp.dll

Now I've put my old ram in and I will see if I receive any stop messages with them.

Edit: I also ran memtest86 for 21 hours yesterday and it still didn't finish, but I think it said that it found 191,000+ errors. It went through like 15 passes or so.

I've also tried messing with the virtual memory (page file) and I still receive the messages. I've tried turning it off, custom settings, and the system managed size. Still, no luck.

I've also installed a second hard drive, but I tested the computer without the hard drive installed and I still got the messages.

I don't remember getting any of the messages until I installed the second stick of ram that I purchased.

Please note. The memtest programme will run untill you stop it.

If it finds errors with your ram, then you have bad ram.

However, some faulty ram can pass memtest.

Regards Howard :)

Oh, alright...did not know that..but it did find like 191,000 errors so I guess I have bad ram...and I haven't received any stop messages when using my old ram

Thanks for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back