Monitor Goes to Standby when Civ 4 game begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradoxos

Here's what happens:

1. Load Game
2. Select Options
3. Game begins
4. Monitor goes to standby and cannot get out.

Dell 2005FPW Monitor
NVIDA GeoForce 6600GT (latest patch 10/05)
Windows XP Service Pack 2
P4 1.82GHZ 512MB Ram

Does this happen in all games, or just Civ 4?
Have you made any changes to your system lately?

If you recently added that 6600GT (even if you didn't actually), double check that you have a power connector going from your power supply, directly to that 6600gt.

I am pretty sure that if you look on the top right side of your video card, you'll see a 4pin molex connector which is waiting for some love juice from your power supply.

I think we may have solved your problem.

I have no slot for power (just a s-video output). Someone at the Civ4 forum said this:

I dont have civ 4 yet, but had the same thing when I upgraded to a 6600gt - as soon as it switched into 3d mode, the graphics card would hang (and the monitor goes into standby).

Needed mobo bios update and several different nvidia drivers to get a stable system that worked (also went through 2 power supplies because I thought that was the problem at first - not enough power - but it was just bios and drivers). Oh, this only related to dx9.0c which I'd installed at the same time to get 3dmark05 running.​

How do I do this?

The power supply connector for your card is on the inside of the PC not on the outside where your S-video connector is. Look at the far inside end of the card. It may be hard to see when the card is installed so take a look at the pictures of your card at internet sellers or at the manufacturer's site.

The person who had the same problem I did said it was not a power issue but

"Needed mobo bios update and several different nvidia drivers to get a stable system that worked (also went through 2 power supplies because I thought that was the problem at first - not enough power - but it was just bios and drivers). Oh, this only related to dx9.0c which I'd installed at the same time to get 3dmark05 running."

I cannot find the mobo bios updated. What is that?

Paradoxos, YOU NEED TO CONNECT YOUR PSU TO THE CARD.

ref9700pro_front.jpg

If you look at this picture, on the top right is a little white square. You need to plug a connection directly from your power supply into that white square.

If AFTER you plug in the power to the card (which it NEEDS to run properly) you still have problems, then you can try updating your bios.

In order to help you find your updated bios files we need to know what kind of motherboard you have.

If you don't know the make of your motherboard, download CPU-Z and run it on your computer. You can google for the software, or go to the "download" section of this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back