BSOD 0x7E with Netlimiter (nltdi.sys) 0x8E with nv4_disp.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm at my wits end (or at least my limited fault finding ability...) One of my favourite apps (NETLIMITER) seems to BSOD my new system at random intervals, normally <2hrs after reboot.

I have spent hours searching, and trying different things - everthing from RAM testing to switching DEP off. Please can someone offer some suggestions - any help would be appreciated.

System
CPU : AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
PSU: Antec 500W SmartPower2.0
Mobo : ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1016
Video :7800GT
Memory : 2x1GB Hynix RAM PC3200DDR-SDRAM
Monitor: Samsung 193E
HD/DVD/CD: 2X250GB WD2500JS (NVRAID 0), 80GB IDE, LITE-ON LDW-811S, Samsung SH-W162C
Other: DVB-T300

Key Software: XP Pro SP2 & updates, ZoneAlarm Pro 6.0.6031, AVG Free Edition, Alcohol120, Netlimiter Pro 2.06
Latest Drivers eg NVDrivers 6.70, NV Display 81.98, BIOS, etc

With netlimiter running I regulargly get BSOD with EventViewer displaying -The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0xb81c9168, 0xba6bfbf0, 0xba6bf8ec) with BSOD referencing nltdi.sys (netlimiter).

Some Notes (probably unrelated)
1. ZoneAlarm / MagicTune3.6 (Samsung LCD tool) clash and hang my system (unrelated), NO BSOD.
2. With NetLimiter not running my system is relatively stable except for an occassional crash that lists nv4_disp.dll (minidump attached, may be related?)
with bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf9ecf7e, 0xaf665824, 0x00000000).
3. I have the same combination of apps installed on my old AMD1.2GHz system and all runs very well (may just have to use the new system as an expensive paperweight...)

Attaching minidumps with NetLimiter (nltdi.sys)BSOD and NV4_DISP.DLL BSOD

Cheers,
Davo.

Attachments

• NL_Minidump.zip
    45.8 KB · Views: 17
  • NV4_Minidump.zip
    37.4 KB · Views: 16
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

The netlimiter problem is probably caused by a software conflict of some kind.

Try using a different version, or try an alternative programme?

The occasional crash with your video card drivers nv4_disp.dll, may be caused by the version of the drivers you are using. Try a different driver version.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard! (appreciate the prompt response)

Where I'm at now:

1) Been running NL1.3 for over 5hrs now and not one BSOD in sight - I can live with this. When I get some time I'll investigate my HW/SW setup a bit further. eg use a PCI NIC over the Mobo ones I currently use.

2) Display driver BSOD - will review display drivers and see what I can find/try, although this may be a long process given the infrequent nature of this one.

Will post an update if I make further progress.

New (happy) Techspot member,
Davo

cpc2004/Howard, thanks guys (you 2 seem to rule the roost around here!)

Update on my progress

Netlimiter Solns that worked for me:
1) Use NLv1.3 (which is ok, but once you used 2.06 a bit disapoiinting)
2) Removed Azuerus 2.3.0.6. Now using NLv2.06 and µTorrent (a very good alternative for my p2p purposes), and all is stable (>3hr)

The below post pointed me in this direction, although gives no specific solution, indicates others have had problems with my mobo and similar software.

Azureus causes computer to freeze !?

RE Magictune/ZoneAlarm problem. Answer is to give MagicTune full permission in ZoneLabs (It's not good enough to enable permission when ZL gives a pop up). Below is link to some other helpful suggestions to MagicTune problems
MagicTune problem (crashes/freezes, etc)
I have also uninstalled Samsung MagicRotation software. Hopefully this may solve my nv4_disp.dll problem, but I'm not overally optomistic.

Cheers,
Davo

Hi..I managed to get a fix for it, discovered it by accident. I am not 100% sure it works, but i've been running my pc with this fix for 4 hrs and it didn't crash :D

1. Uninstall Netlimiter 2.07
2. Reboot
3. Reboot again
4. Enter safe mode
5.Install Netlimiter.
6.Reboot

Sounds very simple. And it works for me, hopefully for you to cya :angel:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

d3rutat said:
Hi..I managed to get a fix for it, discovered it by accident. I am not 100% sure it works, but i've been running my pc with this fix for 4 hrs and it didn't crash :D

1. Uninstall Netlimiter 2.07
2. Reboot
3. Reboot again
4. Enter safe mode
5.Install Netlimiter.
6.Reboot

Sounds very simple. And it works for me, hopefully for you to cya :angel:

Thanks for the info.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I came back with some preliminary results...

I kept my pc on & downloading at full speed for 7hrs and a whole night and it didn't crash. This morning aswell, no problems reported until 12 o'clock..Yet, after i returned from school, i saw a BSOD..Which i am ok with, one BSOD every day, down from one BSOD every half hour :) guess that's ok...I'll keep testing and keep you guys posted :grinthumb

Hi again. Did the same thing today. It went all night long smoothly. Left to school at 1 o clock, when i returned at 20.00 there was a BSOD :)
It feels kinda strange, why does it only crash during the day? The 2 minidumps(yesterday, today) were created at 19.00 and 20.00..I attached them, if somebody can help with this, i'll be ever thankful :D

Both you minidumps crash at nltdi.sys. This is your netlimiter programme. It is known to cause problems.

Try uninstalling netlimiter and see how it goes.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard...:) i suspected that was the cause..This was the final day of my tests, since it crashed during the night which it had never done before..So, i guess my solution only slows the crash interval,but not removes them completely...Anyway, i decided to use Net-Peeker instead, looks great, works bad :D it crashes every minute, so i uninstalled it too and installed DU super controller which has a simple interface but does the trick...Are there any other net limiting programs i can use?

Are there any other net limiting programs i can use?

I have no idea, since I don`t use any such software. However, some of our other members may have some suggestions for you. You could also try Googling for programmes as well.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back