Wireless connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, were to begin? I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router. I also have a laptop with an internal wireless card. At one point I was able to use my laptop wirelessly (is that a word :blush: ). But I came up with this bright idea to make my 2 Tivo's wireless. So I bought 2 D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adapters. After totally screwing everything up, I was not able to use the internet from my PC, or laptop. My husband did something (I don't know what), and now I am able to access the internet through my PC (we have a cable modem connection). Here's my problem, I still can't access the internet through the laptop. I couldn't figure out how to "find" the internal wireless card, so I am using one of the D-Link USB wireless adapters. At this point, my laptop is showing an "excellent" connection, but I can not access the internet. Any ideas? How can I get my laptop to use it's internal wireless card instead of one the adapters, and make it actually work? I would still at some point like to try and make my Tivo's wireless.

Okay, I think I have posted all the info needed, but please ask me any questions you may need to help me. I am so desperate to fix this HUGE mess.

Cari

Wirelessly is a word..
you did miss some info: current setup (what goes where; how), proposed setup and laptop/pc specs.

first i want you to goto start>run>type in cmd> ok.
type in ipconfig and post us what it says there.

next, uninstall the usb wifi and all drivers/software from it. reboot.
goto device manager (right click my computer>properties>hardware>device manager) and goto the network adaptors, remove everything there. reboot and turn on your inbuilt wifi (maybe a switch on the side or a button or something).
that should at least get windows to redetect your wifi, and its jst a matter of update drivers and stuff.
you will need to goto your router;s config and check that DHCP is turned on and your WAN/LAN/wifi/security settings are correct.

however i wouldnt have a clue about TIVO's, my advice about hooking those up wifi is just to google it and look through mediapc forums and such.. i wouldve just chucked a tv card in my pc and used that but thats just me =)

hope this helps out

I have not tried what you suggested yet, but here is what my computer says:

Ethernet Connection Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ph.cox.net
IP address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Autoconfiration IP address: 169.254.159.197
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Should I still do what you suggested?

Cari

Hi again,

I was getting ready to do what you said, but I am a bit confused. Which computer am I susposed to do the recommended stuff to?

Also, here is how I have my PC setup. I have the cable modem ethernet connection pluged into the router, then the router plugged into the back of my computer. I am not sure what "pc/laptop specs" mean, but if it means what kind of computer then here you go: The laptop is a Dell PP05L (does that make sense)? And my PC is a Compaq Presario. Is that all the info you need?

As far as the Tivo's go, I don't care about that right now. I just want to be able to use my laptop wirelessly.

Thanks again,
Cari

I assume your current setup is:
internet ->cable modem <->[ethernet cable]<->wireless router<->[ethernet cable]<-> PC (compaq) and then [wifi] laptop (dell)??

still can't access the internet through the laptop. I couldn't figure out how to "find" the internal wireless card, so I am using one of the D-Link USB wireless adapters.
that was the suggestion in my post on how to get your laptop's internal wifi back.. that will work but I cant garuntee it since I've never used internal wifi before, but it should.. Anyways.. if it doesnt look through dell's tech support and see if tehy have any fixes or new drivers that may help..
below(jpg) should be what you're looking for in the device manager
right click each adaptor and remove them.
However, if you see a red X (highligted with a blue circle) then dont worry about deleting that, instead right click and enable it.
take out the usb wifi, reboot, press the wifi button on your laptop and it should come up.

I'll stop there for now, and post back if you get the internal wifi back.
btw. was that network status for the pc or the laptop?

EDIT: I searched dell and it says something about a bluetooth card thats inbuilt?? if im mistaken and most likely looked at the wrong model please post the name and model type eg: Dell inspireon whatever

Attachments

• device-manager.jpg
    device-manager.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi again!

Thanks for all your advice so far. I now have the internal wirelss card working, but I still can't access the internet. My icon says I have "excellent" connection, but it is still not connecting. Any suggestions? Here is what my laptop says:

ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: mayo.edu
Ip address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

I posted in one of my earlier posts to you what my PC says. Please let me know what else I can do. I went onto the Dell website, and tried a suggestion (something about Wireless Zero connection), and that still didn't work. I did that because I didn't have the wireless network tab under network connections. Does any of this make sense?

Cari

sweet.. now we're gettin somwhere..

first, run home network wizard or whatever, select 'pc goes to a gateway or router to the i.net' option, next, choose your wifi card, next and all done. even if it doesnt say exactly im sure you'd figure it out.

see if you can open up files/folders on the other pc via the wifi connection? if it can than all is good, and try the i.net (google.com or something)

if not then you might need to use your pc thats connected to the router and configure it directly.. as well as security settings and routering settings etc..

i'm not all familiar with the linksys brand of routers so some other guys here maybe able to help you out wiht that side of thigns.. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back