Windows XP Pro keeps rebooting on logo screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZipZpZowie

Hi. I have a P4 3.0Ghz CPU, asrock p4v88 motherboard w 1G ram.
The problem - The computer keeps rebooting when I get to the windows logo screen. I usually see it for 5 to 15 seconds before it reboots. If I press F8 and try safe mode I get a page or so of what's being started and them it reboots.

Recent changes: 512m RAM failed tests and I purchased the 1G ram, which tested fine.

Recent Problems: Intermitant rebooting (I attributed it to the bad RAM).

After I installed the new RAM my graphics card drivers didn't want to work. So I reinstalled them (ATI Radeon 9600 SE 128m) after that the rebooting started as stated in the beginning.

I tried: Stripping the computer down to the boot drive and 1 cd rom drive with only the ATI card same problem. Reinstalled/repaired windows XP Pro, same problem. Removed boot drive and installed empty new HD. Formatted and installed windows on it, again, still the same problem.
I tried flashing the MB BIOS, got error #3 - file not found (Files were on the 3.5 floppy).

I'm out of ideas. I think it's the MB or graphics card (or possibly the MB BIOS). I didn't have another graphics card to try.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Have you checked the timings of the new memory to make sure the motherboard is picking them up properly. Also may have to slow the memory speed down a bit. I have a set of PC3200 that will do the same thing you are talking about if running any faster then 320MHz.

When I get into the setup, it tells me the Memory is
DIMM1 :512 mb/166mhz (DDR333)
DIMM2 :512 mb/166mhz (DDR333)

Should I change this? Or do something else?

Thanks

You can try to slow it down to see if that makes a difference. Also I would check to make sure that your motherboad it picking up the latency timing for the memory you ahve installed correctly.

I changed the mhz for the memory, no luck. How do I check or change the latency timing or make sure it's picking it up?

Thanks

Most memory will have its latency printed on a sticker that is on the side of one of the chips. Those numbers need to match the ones that are showing up in the Bios on your board.

Are you sure you're not having CPU over heating issues? Is your CPU fan cooler spinning at normal speed and the heatsink is firmly seated on the CPU die? It could also be caused by a failing PSU. It's just weird that the memory would be faulty when you just replaced it. Did you buy DDR333 memory or is it posting this in error? If that's what you bought then things should be ok at their default timings. If you want to try, you can change the latency timing in the BIOS in the DRAM menu, but I really don't think this is your issue unless you have your system Oced. In that case set BIOS to Fail Safe settings for now and try again.

Cheers.

don't play with memory timings. You can ruin your memory by overheating.

if you did, run memtest86 off a floppy to ensure your memory is still ok. run for 7 passes or more.

Right now...on power up (Been off for several hours)
the CPU temp is 39 Cel/102 F.
The hottest I saw yesturday was 111 F (near end of day trying to get it running).
Fan Speed is 2500-2615 RPM
If it was a heating problem I think it would run when it was cooled down but no matter when I try (Cold or hot) it reboots.

After 10 minutes temp is 109 F speeds and voltages are the same.

The PSU is putting out
Vcore 1.338v
3.30v = 3.338-3.419
5.00v = 5.121v
12.00v = 11.806v - 11.935

The new memory is not faulty, the old memory was.

I bought ddr 400 pc3200 memory, setup shows ddr333. When I change it to ddr400 the result is the same.

The System is NOT overclocked.

In the BIOS setup utility the chipset config is
DRAM Freq Auto (133mz ddr266, 166mhz ddr333 or 200mhz ddr400)
Flexibility opt. Disabled (tried switching that)
DRAM CAS# Latency Auto (2.0, 2.5 or 3.0)
DRAM command rate 2T command
On DIE Termination Enabled
DRAM Driving for ODT Disabled
V-Link Speed Normal
DRAM voltage Normal

Any other ideas?
thanks

are all your memory sticks the same name, brand, size, and type?

If not, they need be. Memory will only run as fast as the slowest one. Mixing brands and types will cause instability.

Yes all memory sticks are the same. I have 2 Geil 512mb dual channel kit. pc3200 ddr400 unbuffered, unregistered, non-ecc, low density. Exactly what my MB calls for.

Thanks

I tried flashing the MB BIOS, got error #3 - file not found (Files were on the 3.5 floppy).

I'm out of ideas. I think it's the MB or graphics card (or possibly the MB BIOS).

What exactly happened here with the BIOS update? Did you ever correct this/get this to update correctly? If u bought DDR400 and it posts ddr333 then it's a BIOS issue. You followed the manufacture's instructions to a T when updating BIOS? This can be tricky. Boot from DOS disk, must have flash utility and the BIOS files on it too, etc etc. I'd would try it again and hopefully this will solve the problem.

Tedster said:
don't play with memory timings. You can ruin your memory by overheating.

if you did, run memtest86 off a floppy to ensure your memory is still ok. run for 7 passes or more.
I am sorry if I wasn't clear i wasn't suggesting changing them unless they weren't being detected right. I was just saying that it was something to check since I had a very similar problem in the past that was taken care of when I got the proper latency timings in the Bios.

kirock said:
What exactly happened here with the BIOS update? Did you ever correct this/get this to update correctly? If u bought DDR400 and it posts ddr333 then it's a BIOS issue. You followed the manufacture's instructions to a T when updating BIOS? This can be tricky. Boot from DOS disk, must have flash utility and the BIOS files on it too, etc etc. I'd would try it again and hopefully this will solve the problem.

I've tried to flash the bios 3 times. I got the same error each time (error 3 file not found). The flash utility is ARSROCK and the bios file is P4V88_1.70
they are together on the same disk. I don't know whether the file not found error refers to P4V88_1.70 or the installed bios itself, but the file IS on the disk.

I downloaded and ran Memtest 86 on my old memory (the memory I originally found errors on) I got 1 error on pass #8, 1 on pass #11 and 1 on pass #14. Any thoughts on this? Is it normal to get a few errors? Is this bad memory or not?

I also ran this on the new memory and had no errors at all.

The original memory program I used was Windows Memory Diagnostics downloaded from windows error reporting page. When I ran that I got errors on the 1st pass for 3 tests.

thanks

If Memtest86 found errors with your old RAM then your old ram is bad. Sometimes memtest86 misses some marginal memory errors (reports good mem when it's bad but never bad mem when it's good).

That's weird that you keep running into the BIOS update error thing. Read the website (mobo) instructions again and double, triple check you have all the files required on the boot floppy. It's possible they have an error with their flash utility, but you'd think ppl would have freaked out at them and they'd have that fixed.

Only other thing I can suggest is upping your Vcore and Vdram voltages by minimal allowed (smallest step) in BIOS and see if that makes things more stable. Watch your CPU temps though because this can create more heat. But this would be minimal bc's you're not increasing the clock freq too. (i.e. as Ocing).

Cheers.

Simple fix for stopping the XP Logo "looping"

Hi! I work in a school environment with a large quantity of both desktops and laptops. I was experiencing this same error and was able to fix it by booting up with a WIN95/98 boot disk and typing in Fdisk MBR. This works well especially if you have multiple partitiions.

kirock said:
That's weird that you keep running into the BIOS update error thing. Read the website (mobo) instructions again and double, triple check you have all the files required on the boot floppy. It's possible they have an error with their flash utility, but you'd think ppl would have freaked out at them and they'd have that fixed.

I have the files they say I should have. I even DL'ed them twice to try again.

kirock said:
Only other thing I can suggest is upping your Vcore and Vdram voltages by minimal allowed (smallest step) in BIOS and see if that makes things more stable. Watch your CPU temps though because this can create more heat. But this would be minimal bc's you're not increasing the clock freq too. (i.e. as Ocing).

The minimal amount allowed is Normal or High for the voltage change. Is their ANY posibility that this would hurt my new memory?

Thanks

karen123d said:
Hi! I work in a school environment with a large quantity of both desktops and laptops. I was experiencing this same error and was able to fix it by booting up with a WIN95/98 boot disk and typing in Fdisk MBR. This works well especially if you have multiple partitiions.

I was looking at that, but figured that a fix for windows xp pro wouldn't come from a windows me os. I don't know if I have a 95/98 boot disk, but I do have win me boot disk. Do you think this will work.

I do not have multiple partitions.

Also, did it destroy the info/data on the disk when you did this?

Thanks

Removed boot drive and installed empty new HD. Formatted and installed windows on it, again, still the same problem.

No, what Karen said will not fix your problem bc's it's not a boot sector error as karen's was. Zip, you have a hardware or driver issue . It can be faulty RAM thereby BIOS not reading it correctly.(because your BIOS DOES list DDR400 as an option right?).(caps meant as EmphAAsis). It's not unheard of to have brand new faulty RAM.(but hopefully not). Make sure your BIOS settings are on auto for all things related to DRAM.

Increasing your VDram voltage by a little will not hurt it unless you way over do it. But a low or high setting will only add the little minimal step I mentioned in last post. So try that.

Have you only just reinstalled WinXP and on the 1st reboot it started this problem? I mean you don't have any other drivers installed? And you can't boot into safe mode? If that's the case then it is a hardware prob, which could be mobo, RAM or PSU. Just trying to narrow it down by cause and symptom.

Cheers.

kirock said:
It's not unheard of to have brand new faulty RAM.(but hopefully not). Make sure your BIOS settings are on auto for all things related to DRAM.

I tested the new ram with memtest 86 - no errors. All settings that can be are auto.

kirock said:
Increasing your VDram voltage by a little will not hurt it unless you way over do it. But a low or high setting will only add the little minimal step I mentioned in last post. So try that.

Tried, no change.

kirock said:
Have you only just reinstalled WinXP and on the 1st reboot it started this problem? I mean you don't have any other drivers installed? And you can't boot into safe mode?

After I installed the new RAM, my graphics card drivers didn't want to work. So I reinstalled them (ATI Radeon 9600 SE 128m) after that the rebooting started as stated. I guess the problem is I can't get in to uninstall the vidoe drivers, but if it was a driver issue, when I formated an empty drive and put win xp pro on it, that should have been solved.

kirock said:
If that's the case then it is a hardware prob, which could be mobo, RAM or PSU. Just trying to narrow it down by cause and symptom.

I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM. How can I tell if it's PSU? The voltages seem ok and don't vary much at all (See a previous post for list of voltages). The PSU is a Maddog 550watt, model MD-550WPS.

I'm trying to find someone with a video card so I can try to change that.

Thanks for all the help and ideas

Looping problem

ZipZpZowie said:
I was looking at that, but figured that a fix for windows xp pro wouldn't come from a windows me os. I don't know if I have a 95/98 boot disk, but I do have win me boot disk. Do you think this will work.

I do not have multiple partitions.

Also, did it destroy the info/data on the disk when you did this?

Thanks

Hi ZipZpZowie! I know it seems odd to have to go back to WIN95/98 for the fix, but it appears to be a file missing in XP that causes this problem. Trust me ... I use this method successfully every day to correct the problem. We are using WIN XP OS in our building for all of our machines. I am sure that Microsoft will eventually "catch up" with the problem and fix it with a patch.

Let me know when your issue is resolved.

Karen is right in some respects that boot disk trick can fix some things in windows xp. Although I don't think that will help you in the case because as the way I understand it is getting all the way to the Windows XP splash screen. By that time it should be out of the MBR and running stuff from windows.

Who knows it might still work but I would agree with kirock that you she some sort of hardward or drive issue here.

Sorry I missed this sentence in your very 1st post.
If I press F8 and try safe mode I get a page or so of what's being started and them it reboots.
So that answers that.

Well at this point I'm at a loss other then to think it's a driver issue. My new logic on this is: If it was a RAM problem or overheating CPU or even a weak PSU, then you probably wouldn't have got through the formatting and installing Windows at all! (doh, my bad suggestion it was hardware). With the ATI driver installed this started happening (rebooting). The fact u can't get into Safe mode is a little weird though. SM only loads up default VGA drivers so I'm not sure it's the ATI drivers that are causing this.

Do you think it's worth a try to just reformat and start over with the new HDD and new ram? Don't load any other drivers or software until it seems to be operating normally. Then proceed with caution adding video driver next, reboot, then next app etc.

Heck at this point maybe hunt down a Win98 bootable floppy and give Karen's suggestion/fix a try.

At a loss.

windows xp keeps rebooting

When this happened to me and nothing else would work, I replaced the power supply and it never happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back