Computer shuts itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmellish

I have a HP zd7000 laptop running xp home. It has been crashing. At first just when printing sometimes, now it is always when printing, and sometimes when web browsing. I had formatted the hd (thinking it was a virus), I have swapped out the ram (with ram from another laptop- that made it worse). The temp is about 40C. I am contemplating purchasing a registry cleaner program. Is this a hardware or software issue? I am also contemplating swapping the hard drive to my other laptop to see if it will print/run on the other laptop? Are these things a possible solution to my problems, or am i just wasting my time?

Any help would be appreciated. I am getting very frustrated.

Thanks, I ran the test. It ran for 50 minutes & came up with nothing. Do you have any more suggestions?

or try to reset that printter

take whole powercable off for 10sec or try another printer..chainge that printter cable check controlpanel does theres any irq conflict etc.. (check devicemanager is there any ? marks..) try anoher port

Thanks, I will try the driver update. I have not done this before, is there a site that will do it automatically?

Also, I'm not sure that it would be the printer itself, as it works fine with the other computer we have.

I updated the drivers, but still had the problem. So I decided to remove 1 of my ram only and it will work. I swapped & tried both ram separately. It does not shut off. I tried them separately in both ram slots. It does not shut off. But as soon as I put both ram in together, it shuts off. Is it possible that the ram slots are having some kind of conflict?

Thanks, I actually have a different problem now. I ran memtest for 2 & 1/2 hours and shut it down normally. It did find a couple errors, but when I restarted the computer - it kept giving me BSOD's and then the hard drive died. I don't know if the problem was the hard drive all along. I replace the hard drive & now have a new thread in windows os. It seems to get my usb working I need a file usbehci.sys - do you know where to get this? & until I get that running I cannot tell if my computer will shut down on printing.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back