Networking issues - LAN access, but not recognised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoretime

Hi all,
I've looked around in the forums and can't find the information I was looking for (apart from a couple of straight set-ups, that don't explain my problem).

I've got four machines running off a Netgear 834 router/modem. At the moment we're not connected to ADSL, I was just getting set up in advance. However, one of my computers (notably the one connected furthest away - a 15 metre RJ45 connector) is not recognised by the router. The light is on - suggesting connection - but when asked to look for the network the computer can't find it (IP cannot be resolved). If I then force it to recognise the router as the outgoing point for the internet (i.e. local gateway) & put in a static IP it CAN find the network - but seems to assume it's the internet. We can then use it as a normal LAN, but I have worries that when we get ADSL it won't be able to access the internet.

Similarly, I've run the WinXP networking diagnostic, and it's pinging fine, & I can find the router & config pages through it's IP on the LAN.

I was relatively happy with my botched solution, until I went to the router config pages & checked "devices attached" - which shows all my other computers, but not the one upstairs.

Any help would be much appreciated. All computers are running XP, barring a laptop which we haven't got problems with (Apple).

Regards

Nomoretime

umm you could try to make a connection manually in control panel>network connections also if it is wireless make sure there is nothing in the way, you said it is upstairs, there might be something in a wall that is blocking the signal, is it is wired make sure the cable are plugged in properly.

Follow the straight-forward setups as suggested in other posts (e.g. by me)

A few basic setups when networking:

Router-setup WAN:
Protocol: Fixed IP (this is for the internal LAN, even if your ISP may give you a variable IP)
IP-address, Subnetmask and default Gateway: as per ISP-information
DNS-servers: as per ISP-information
Enable NAT

Router-setup LAN:
IP-address: set to e.g. 192.168.1.254 (or use default)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP-server: disable

Router: Some System-settings (depending on your router)
Optional SNTP (time): e.g. 194.35.252.7 for UK/Ireland (GMT)
uPnP: disable
Dynamic routing: disable
Remote config: disable
Dynamic DNS: disable
Firewall: Block hacker attack: enable
Firewall: Block WAN request: enable
VPN: disable all settings unless you need it

PC-Settings
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Use the following IP address: 192.168.1.101 (102, 103 etc.)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Use DNS Server address: 192.168.1.254 (IP-address from your Router)
Second DNS: leave blank or put in first DNS-server from WAN-part in Router

Enable File/Printer sharing if you wish (works only within local network)
Check individual printer(s) that they are shared as well (in printer-settings)

And make sure all your PCs are in the same WORKGROUP.

XP wants 1 PC to be the master
go to microsoft they have software
that will setup your network
I just finished looking at this ,but can't remember exactly whats up
XP sux's

Sorted

Hi

I got this sorted a while ago.

Actually it was very simple (sorted it the same day as I posted, and thought I'd replied).

I needed to install the correct drivers for the (On-board) Network Adapter.

Previously the adapter was working, but clearly didn't have the right protocols set up to talk with the router.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back