Intel Prescott 3.4 Ghz
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 Pro PCI-exp
EPoX EP-5EPA+ mobo
Dual 512 MB Corsair RAM Modules
1 CD RW drive
1 DVD+-RW drive
1 Maxtor SATA 120 GB
1 Maxtor ATA-133 80 GB

I have the pci-express power adapter for my video card and my antec true550 overheats like HELL when i go into a game...i mean i can BARLEY touch it and i can feel the heat when i touch the top of the case! it overheats even worse than my old genetic 50 gram psu..i dont understand...dual fans on it and PLENTY of power yet it seems to be overheating like crazy...i have a feeling it may be the video card? is that adapter sucking up too much power or what...please help...i really don't want my antec to blow as my old one did

rather than beating at the make of my video card due to ur own biases...how about a suggestion...thanks...

and yes...the fans are spinning fine...also...my readings are usually around 11.756...i was expecting them to be a whole lot better with this antec but they are just the same...maybe its just the sensor...whatever...im more worried about the temperature issue...which is definitely there because it's physically noticible

Sounds like your psu is defective. It should be touchable even at full load. Maybe it's shorting out and that's making it heat up? Rma?

Bye-bye PSU

My thoughts exactly...
If your PSU isn't about to die, it will be in short time.
Something must indeed drain so much power from your PSU, which try to keeps up with the demand that it starts heating like that.
Two possibilities, or somethings wrong with your card (RMA) that causes this huge drain of power or your card just asks more then your PSU can deliver.
And if you can feel the heat coming through your case, I fear it's life will be shortened by the minute you use it. :hotouch:
Sorry, maybe a very high-output PSU would be better.
You might want to take your rig to the shop where you bought the stuff and have them diagnose it.
Then or card or PSU will go into RMA which costs you nothing but a bit of your time and patience.

my card just got mailed yesterday to be RMA'd...this is one of the most powerful PSU's 30A @ +12V im sure that's not the problem...unfortunately my motherboard doesnt have an AGP slot obviously being pci-e so i cant use my old TNT2 AGP to see if the same thing happens without the video card...i have RMA'd my motherboard, processor and video card so far due to extremely bad performance...ive gone through 2 "defective" psu's already...one blew...i dont understand...

also...i bought all my parts online and built this myself...the card somehow caused my first psu to blow...and then it's performance got cut in half...it's very odd...then i get my new psu...still horrible performance from my computer and this ANTEC first rate power supply with monster power that im sure i dont need all of is heating up like crazy...i dont know what to do

video card was from allstarshop.com...mostly everything else was from newegg...the power supply was from zipzoomfly

Misterious mistery

It's a pity I can't see through walls or I'd check your gear out that way ;)
No it looks indeed like you've got a serious problem at hand.
Also you obviously know what you're doing.
So, I guess setting up a BIOS and building a rig holds no secrets for you anymore, maybe some false grounding?, some parts of the board touching you're case?, really can't think of anything else.
It's quite a mistery for me too, it all doesn't make sence.
Do you know by any chance, somehow, someone that can physically help you out, maybe he can see/find something you overlooked.
Checked upon all your components and they should be okay for this configuration.
Also they should be working too no mather where you buy/order them.

Yea i feel the same way...i emailed antec tech support and all they hae to say is that it may be because ur using a 20 pin connector on a 24 pin motherboard...but i know from MANY peop0le that the 24 pin is just propoganda and that using a 20 pin on 24 pin doesnt have any problem...i mean if any of you relaly thing it's necessary to get a 20-24 pin adapter ill get one...trusting your word...Also...unfortunately i dont know anyone around me that knows any more than me about these issues...i live in a technologically..."declined" area...neither do i have any friend who will let me open their computers and test my hardware in theirs...considering their all dells and dont even know what the insideof a computer looks like...im already around $250 over budget...im trying to find a solution without having to spend any more :(

hopefully the rma wont take to long

and beetle juice is right it shold work dont matter wehere u oreder from, i was just curious where u gotiit from

maybe its wort a using a 20-24 pin addaptor

another thing...i ordered my 2 molex to 6 pin pci express adapter from xpcgear.com...is it possible that this adapter is demanding more power and causing this? it doesnt seem possible but im just making sure with the pros ;) i've learned alot from building this computer but ive obviously come upon some extremely irritating errors...

try running the machine with minimal amounts of drives and power sapping hardware attached, then run the games.

well waddya know...3 months after i go through hell with my 24 pin motherboard and pci-express graphics card...antec comes up with a handy model with BOTH...i cannot believe this...i wish i could trade in my power supply with some money for that one...it's only about 20 bucks more expensive...

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22551

help me god lol...i have to stop worrying about this and concentrate on school!!!!! money is an evil thing

u mean selll mine and buy that one? id lose tons of money like that...considering ive seen used true550's for like 50 bucks when i bought mine for 100

Try to recover the loss

Dead customers make lousy buyers ;)

I understand you Tranq, but chill out, you'll find a solutions.
He who searches will find :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back