Losing my connection? Or my mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoid guy

I've been wondering about this for a while, it's actually really annoying. I sometimes lose my connection when I'm going from page to page on the internet, sometimes I'll just get the THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED screen. It happens more on sites like Bebo (which has a lot of people on it) so I thought maybe it wasn't my problem. Basically I just want to know if this is normal, or if there's something wrong. I have broadband, I tested my connection, and I got 1703kb/s downloading and 214kb/s uploading. Now it's happening on outlook express as well, sometimes it will hang when it's "authorising". I don't think it's a spyware problem, or something more sinister. My anti-virus/spyware programs are all clean.

just a stupid check..... check your cookies are enabled.
also you might want to download TCIP optimizer

i have the same problem, so i restart and its all good. IE or my firefox wont work but my online games will >>>> thats a lil weird lol

I got a similar problem:

I got an upgrade for my computer so I could play more games.

I wanted to play a game called Battlefield 1942(NOT Battlefield 2) on multiplayer

I found a server right for me, and clicked "join"

It takes a minute or so, then says: "failed to connect to server"

I checked my internet connection, working fine.

I also disabled all my firewalls and still no luck

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for reply. By the way, I have a linksys router and a DSL modem.

Also, paranoid_guy, I get the same problem sometimes. All i do is unplug my router and DSL modem(or cable modem) from its power socket and reconnect the power and it usually works.

paranoid_guy
sounds like you are on Irishbroadband. They are notorious for dropping their connection every so often.
Reason enough for me to cancel IBB and join Clearwire. No more problems since.
My local exchange (Sandyford) is too old for telephone-broadband, so I HAVE to go wireless one way or the other.

Yeah, it's weird though, sometimes it will be the simplest webpage in the world, and it just won't load. So you go and click refresh, and it loads up to about 3 or 4 bars and then... that bloody PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED screen! So, 3rd time lucky you think and you refresh again and BAM! Took about 2 seconds and all that was there was someone's myspace page, or something. Maybe it's just that a lot of modems are downloading from the same server? I really don't know.

btw sw123, I saw this on another forum,
http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespyarcade/topic.asp?fid=8353&tid=1514276
Hope that's not what you already did.

Ah, RBS, I only saw your post after I posted :knock:
No, I'm on Eircom, no middleman for me :)
You're in Sandyford? Well, la di daaa...

Goonmaster needs help TOO, but i have always faced errors and fixed them

sw123 said:
I got a similar problem:

I got an upgrade for my computer so I could play more games.

I wanted to play a game called Battlefield 1942(NOT Battlefield 2) on multiplayer

I found a server right for me, and clicked "join"

It takes a minute or so, then says: "failed to connect to server"

I checked my internet connection, working fine.

I also disabled all my firewalls and still no luck

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for reply. By the way, I have a linksys router and a DSL modem.

Also, paranoid_guy, I get the same problem sometimes. All i do is unplug my router and DSL modem(or cable modem) from its power socket and reconnect the power and it usually works.

Try port forwarding your router (changing the settings). They can be changed using a web browser.
http://www.portforward.com/
Then disable your routers firewall. (you dont need it unless you have no other firewall software).

But i have the connection dropping problem too,
it could be eircom with a dynamic ip that keep changing
and in order to change the ip it has to temporarily disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back