Mouse Cursor Freezes On Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGHitman14

I was instructed by someone over in the forums to post your hijack logs to post my problem here:

For some reason, my mouse cursor after a few minutes of use will freeze up on my screen. The icon will not move, however, if I were to pull the mouse down and to the left and click, the start menu would pop up. I hope I'm explaining clear enough the situation. The actual image of the cursor itslef does not move, however, I can still move and use the mouse, but I cannot see where I am moving it to, I just have to guess where it is on the screen and click becuase the mouse cursor image is frozen. While the cursor is frozen in its one position, the icon changes in accordance to where the real arrow is on the screen (text cursor over a text input area, finger pointer when I'm over a link, etc.).

In safe mode however, I do not seem to experience this problem. I've run every possible anti virus and adware programs possible, and cleaned up my hijack entry to the extreme. I've also tried a different mouse but I still experience the same problem. I had a feeling from the start it was some software/device issue because the mouse works, but I just can't see what I'm doing, and this happens on any mouse used on my PC. I've also reinstalled the driver to make sure that wasn't it, but nothing helped.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, please let me know. Thanks.

I've had the same problem since yesterday !
Coincidence or new threat ?
I doubt it could be a threat as I'm well protected.
Recently I'm experiencing a highly low performance of my computer and I'm looking into it. One of the problem seemed to be the connect software from Sony for the new NW-a3000 mp3 jukebox, seemed to be installed twice (thank to an update ?).
As a test I'm monitoring the speed of unpacking RAR archives. Before I was around 4000 kb/s in the good moments. And then it went to 400 kb/s !!
After uninstalling the connect software I was more like around 1100 kb/s ...

I'm still not sure about that but now I saw that some of my partition are highly (>50%) fragmented, especialy my download partition. I'm then running diskeeper to clean a little.

One possible cause of the cursor problem I would see is that when I run uTorrent for example (bittorrent download) with 5 or 6 big files downloading I have a slow mouse cursor. Could be that at some point It get lot.

I'm also suspecting a software I'm using : YourUninstaller. It looks after an unistall all possible left regsitry keys, and there are often a lot found. I'm almost sure that 99% of them should be removed, but what if an important registry key is removed and I'm not careful enough ... I'm always suspecting that software to maybe cause problems on my computer.

If all my investigation doesn't give any result I'll install a fresh new windows and stop using this software.

Anyway, please keep me posted of ur progress.

had the same problem

I've had the same problem and fortunately it was nothing to do with a virus/malware. It turned out to be the driver for my nvidia graphics card - that particular driver version was buggy. If you've updated the driver recently, roll it back.

I've surprsingly been clean now for about 2-3 days. I get scared occasionaly when I go to move the mouse and it stays where it is, but usually after 2-3 seconds, it's up and moving again.

Unfortunately, I've done so many things it would really be hard to pinpoint which one actually did it, but I can list most of the things I've done:

1. Reinstalled mouse driver (don't think it did anything)
2. Lavasoft Ad-Aware
3. Spybot S&D
4. Antivirus Programs
5. Registry Cleaning programs (seems like something you may be interested in)
6. Hijackthis logs (did some major cleaning to that)
7. A few tiny programs targeting specific adware problems (don't think it did anything)
8. Defragged harddrive
9. Ran a scandisk on a reboot
10. Removed programs from Add/Remove Programs that I wasn't using
11. Cleared all cookies, temp files, history, etc.

...and you'll never guess. As we speak, I just went to another web page that had some tutorial on things to do to clean up some, and my friggen mouse just did it again.

Guess you can ignore all my advice and we can start over again from scratch. Back to the hotkeys so I can tab over to "submit reply" :(

Try running System file checker to check for any damaged or missing system files. with your XP disk in the Drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow system file checker will run and replace any corrupted or missing system files which may be the source of your problem.

For anyone having this problem, I've found a temporary solution. If you go to Control Panel, mouse, and put on the cursor trail, you'll be able to see your mouse, even after it's original cursor freezes on screen.

I've done some searches on google and found two recurring solutions:

1. It seems that an updated NVIDIA Graphics driver has caused this to happen to many people. I updated mine months ago, but have rolled it back anyway, and since my last reboot, no problems yet.

2. One other person suggested going into device manager and just uninstalling your mouse AND keyboard, directly connecting your mouse to the USB (I still have mine in the PS2 slot) and then rebooting and letting it reinstall automatically. I did this as well, and as I stated, no problems yet.

I'll post again later if I have any problems. Good luck to all.

iss said:
Try running System file checker to check for any damaged or missing system files. with your XP disk in the Drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow system file checker will run and replace any corrupted or missing system files which may be the source of your problem.

interesting command, I'll give it a test lol

and i get freak out too when my mouse freeze 2-3 sec like poster above : D
we share common sentiment.

Anyone figure anything out? I seem to be running pretty well since the last few things I did. One time after I booted the comp up, it was frozen off the bat, I turned on cursor trail, and then turned it right off and the problem went away, so I assume I still have somewhat of a problem, but it's definitly getting better...

CGHitman14 said:
I was instructed by someone over in the forums to post your hijack logs to post my problem here:

For some reason, my mouse cursor after a few minutes of use will freeze up on my screen. The icon will not move, however, if I were to pull the mouse down and to the left and click, the start menu would pop up. I hope I'm explaining clear enough the situation. The actual image of the cursor itslef does not move, however, I can still move and use the mouse, but I cannot see where I am moving it to, I just have to guess where it is on the screen and click becuase the mouse cursor image is frozen. While the cursor is frozen in its one position, the icon changes in accordance to where the real arrow is on the screen (text cursor over a text input area, finger pointer when I'm over a link, etc.).

In safe mode however, I do not seem to experience this problem. I've run every possible anti virus and adware programs possible, and cleaned up my hijack entry to the extreme. I've also tried a different mouse but I still experience the same problem. I had a feeling from the start it was some software/device issue because the mouse works, but I just can't see what I'm doing, and this happens on any mouse used on my PC. I've also reinstalled the driver to make sure that wasn't it, but nothing helped.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, please let me know. Thanks.
go to start/security center and select let windows handle firewall and virus protecter.

Best way to fix a computer that's freezing. Do everything that you possibly can like you did. Who cares which one really fixed it? The best way.

Best Way

Best way to fix a computer that's freezing. Do everything that you possibly can like you did. Who cares which one really fixed it? The best way.

Freezing cursor

Often find cursor freezes where it starts on boot. Nothing to do but cold
boot.

'Post It' note in my maintenance folder for that says run Ad-aware when can. It usually finds buggies that cause problem.

Another fix: IF you have a wireless access point (no one mentioned if mouse
was wireless, or not) AND a wireless mouse, they can run on same signal.

Please to move access point (sometimes difficult, as we put peripherals where
we have room to and where else can you place the mouse/receiver) FURTHER
away.

Start up programs? Yea, that and registry repair software may do very little.

Simple, but please to CHECK your batteries.

Re establish connection (receiver/mouse) sometimes does the trick.

My mouse just froze and has been doing so for a while. After using my keyboard to search the net for help and reading all these posts and a few others, i turned on the mouse trails so i could see, then went to my refresh rate and upped it to 75 hz. This fixed the problem straight away! Just waiting for it to freeze again now.... Must be the graphics drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back