Biostar TA790GX and vista 64bit hardware error problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshvito

I have a problem, which i have been discussing in another section of the forums ( https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic94876.html ), but have been advised to post here in hopes of finding someone with the same or similar problem/solution.
-
First I will describe the problem, then i will summarize my attempts at a remedy.
-
The Problem.
I have the following components, and they are not meshing well together.
-AMD Phenom II x4 2.8GHz 920 CPU
-Biostar TA790GX A+ MoBo
-4x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
-VGA SAPPHIRE HD 4670
-RAIDMAX 530W PSU
-1TB Hitachi SATA2
-----
After installing a fresh copy of Vista Home Premium, Updating the Bios, and installing all the most current drivers, I was getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. These BSOD's have occurred while the pc is idle(without a user), while I am using web browsers, running games, getting my vista score, etc.
I see no pattern.
-
Remedy Attempts
In order to remedy the situation, in the following order, I uninstalled the ATI Drivers, Realtec and NIC drivers. Used a cleaner in safe mode and reinstalled the most current drivers again from ATI and Realtek. This seemed to help, because the BSOD trailed off in their prevalence. But they were still there.
-
I reinstalled the Chipset drivers from Biostar's website, and the BSOD were occuring only once every 10-15 hours.
Lastly, I installed the NIC and Audio drivers from Biostar, and the BSOD's have multiplied in their occurrence.
(there is a more detailed explanation on the forum linked at the top)
-
Lastly, as I am writing this and checking my components on the Newegg invoice, I notice that even though my memmory checked ok with multiple memory tests, I may have memory that is in compatible with my board. (I should have done better homework...ugh)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226&Tpk=20-231-226
Can memory be made to work with only certain Chipsets?
What makes it chipset specific? Timing? Voltage?
-
Any thoughts would be helpful.
I will continue my troubleshooting by replacing the memory.
I will also be checking back here for suggestions, or even replies by others that have built a rig with the same cpu mobo combo, so that i know it is possible.
thanks again, this is a great forum!

We have seen that problem on some very few ASUS boards, but not on a BIOSTAR... Your memory should work fine.

We have seen that problem on some very few ASUS boards, but not on a BIOSTAR... Your memory should work fine
why does the manufacturer and newegg list the memory as Intel only?

A mystery, since Intel doesn't make much, if any memory any more.
What Intel memory modules can you name?

this may be a newbie question, but...
the memory i purchased has the following specs
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Cas Latency 6
Timing 6-6-6-18
Voltage 2.0V
Dual Channel Kit
-
according to System Information for Windows, my ram is running at
DRAM Frequency 400.00MHz
Memory Timing 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
--
could this be the problem that is causing my bsod's?
I have the bios set to failsafe defaults, aside from turning the floppy drive off.

The memory you purchased is fairly slow in specs and timings but should work.
I contacted my friend at BIOSTAR who says any memory will work, provided it is DDR2 SDRAM at one of these frequencies PC2-4200, PC2-5300, PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 with up to 4GB... but with Windows XP, the maximum utilized will be 3.5 GB... VISTA will use it all.

We suspect the reference to Intel, is an Intel-type motherboard, rather than a Mac or other network or system boards.

You should be fine, so if you have a problem, either the memory is bad, or you have a difficulty elsewhere in your system.

But the timings on the memory you purchased are too low for high speed gaming, or photo processing.... So for high speed, intensive work, you need better quality memory, perhaps.

I think I may have found the solution.
I changed the voltage to the cpu from 1.15v to 1.34v. It seems to have fixed the issue.I described it in full here.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post714091-34.html
-
Also, out of curiosity, I had emailed G.Skill to ask them why they listed their memory as "intel only"; they responded that
If you want to run total 4 modules of memory on AMD platform, you can only run it at DDR2 800 speed. You cannot run 4 modules at 1066 in most AMD system without trouble
-
And as you stated earlier, the memory works fine.(although I want to upgrade to faster memory now!!)
Just wanted to say thank you again for all your help, and the Techspot forums just took the place at the top of my bookmark list!

so.......

i just swaped out a ta770 a2+ with a ta790gx 128m and it didnt recognize my OS so i had to install a fresh copy. everything went smoothly when bringing my system back to life until i got to my Linksys wmp54g v.4 wireless card drivers. EVERYTIME i tried to install the drivers i would get the BSOD!!!!!!!!!! i tried installing them from the disk, latest ones off the net, and having vista automatically finding them over the net. none of them worked! my ISP finally came back up so i'm updating vista in hope that will fix the problem but does anyone know whats happening?

OH wow! vista updated it along with the system updates! awesome! thank if you were going to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back