Any Suggestions for Conficker Worm Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Can anyone suggest as to what precautions to take tp protect your PC against the " Conficker Worm " supposed to hit on April 1st ?

I do not have a network. It is a single home PC.

I have following security software installed.

Nod 32 Antivirus

Zone Alarm Pro Firewall

Super Antispyware Professional

Thank You.

The Conflicker Worm has already hit! I think you are behind times:

Three main variants of the Conficker worm are known and have been dubbed Conficker A, B and C.They were discovered 21 November 2008, 29 December 2008 and 4 March 2009, respectively.

More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

Mike, maybe you didn't read the first line of the first post:
Can anyone suggest as to what precautions to take tp protect your PC against the " Conficker Worm " supposed to hit on April 1st ?
Obviously he has gotten incorrect information which is why I gave the 3 dates.

Now I know where this incorrect information came from! What a crick! As a former ZoneAlarl Pro user, I still get emails about their products. An email with the following came today:

This information is NOT correct! We have been dealing with Conficker infections for months!
Re: ZoneAlarm Security Alert: Conficker Worm
From ZoneAlarm/Check Point:
The Conficker worm is scheduled to possibly cause widespread damage April 1, 2009.
Severity: High Risk
Infection Impact
Currently the worm does not harm infected computers, but it has the capacity to cause considerable damage at a later time. WRONG!
What is it?
The Conficker worm is a type of virus that lives unnoticed in your PC while spreading itself to others over the Internet. Currently the worm does not harm infected computers, (WRONG!)but it has the capacity to cause considerable damage at a later time. Experts fear it may cause damage starting April 1. Steps should be taken to protect your PC from this worm.

Who is at risk?
Users whose computers are not configured to receive patches and updates from Microsoft and who are not running an up-to-date anti-virus product are most at risk. All customers who have a ZoneAlarm product that includes antivirus have protection, including ZoneAlarm Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. (Questionable!)Each of these products not only includes anti-virus, but also the OSFirewall which monitors and blocks dangerous behavior within your operating system.

If you are running ZoneAlarm Pro as your exclusive PC security software you are at risk, beause it does not contain both antivirus and OS Firewall protection.
More information can be found here:
http://www.tech-101.com/solutions-security/topic329.html?hilit=Conficker

Not Conficker.D (even C has some big concerns)
There is no fix (yet), just some preventions offered

So backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back